Georgetown, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have been following TFP guidance, and use the Pool Math app for logging tests and making corrections (using liquid chlorine). All has been going well to this point, but I've run into an issue with the recommendation.

CYA is at 50, and the Pool Math app recommends 4-8 FC, with a target of 6.

I just added a Raypak 406A Heater (399K propane heater with copper fin tubes), and the manual states that it's very important to maintain pool chemistry to prevent damage, which includes FC of 2-3, which "MUST NOT EXCEED 5 PPM" (caps and bold are theirs).

The Raypak recommendation seems very low compared to what I've been doing based on TFP and Pool Math recommendations, but I also don't want to harm my new heater. Any ideas? Thank you!

The Raypak recommendation seems very low compared to what I've been doing based on TFP and Pool Math recommendations, but I also don't want to harm my new heater. Any ideas? Thank you
The manufacturers just repeat the industry standards/mthods which don’t believe in the CYA\FC relationship. Knowing what you do, you know that with following the FC/CYA Levels, your pool water is less caustic than tap water.

Keep up the good work !!

Been using Raypak propane heaters since 1994 or so. No issues with higher chlorine noted (I try to keep a minimum of 5 ppm). Got 15 years out of the 1st one. It succumbed to rust, not chlorine! I have no bypass of the heater when it's not in use, but I do have a check valve in the line to keep chlorinated water from entering when the pump is off.

Last edited:
As everyone's said, it's a boilerplate warning that doesn't account for CYA. The real concern with copper tubes is pH. I've never seen high chlorine do damage, but I've seen acidic water eat through heat exchangers in a matter of days. Don't let your pH drop below 7.2 and never put chlorine tablets in the skimmer and you should get a good life out of your heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.