Chlorine production

Vickery

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2009
Perfection, NC
I have finished my transition from a 14K abv to the new ~32K igv. Last year I used lc (had too many higher priority items to replumb for the swcg.) Typical usage was 1gal per day. Cya then was 30, kept the water at a FC of 4-5 perfectly. This year I installed my RJ30+ (1.5# per day.) Knowing that it was undersized by TFP standards I opted to install a Speck VS pump to run 24/7 @ 200 watts (I may drop that as I fine tune the system) rather than replace the cell. Why throw a perfectly good cell away..... My expectations were that 75% run time might be sufficient to maintain 5% with Cya of 70. When my FC reached 15 I started backing off the run cycle. I'm now down to 40% run cycle and the FC has slowly dropped to 10. The shape of the pool makes it hard to estimate - 19X39 with an 8 ft deep end, sloped sides. Either the RJ 30+ is overproducing or the pool is a bit smaller than the volume I'm using. The previous owner said it was 35K per the pb. I didn't argue but knew better. Is my math off that far or am I just having good fortune from an exuberant swcg?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Depending what your average pool depth is your pool gallons can be from 22000 if 4 feet to 28,000 if 5 feet. That is a 20% variance that can effect SWG calculations.

I don’t know how you get 32K.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
V,

Sounds about right to me... Your cell in a 30K pool will increase your FC by 6 ppm at 100% output and run 24/7..

At 75% output that is still 4.5 per day.. This time of year, with a CYA of 70, I would expect your pool to only use 2 or 3 ppm per day..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Vickery

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2009
Perfection, NC
Thanks, JR. I used Pool Math with an average depth of 6'. The shallow end is pretty short, hard to calculate an average depth with the configuration. It's rectangular, that's where the ~32K comes from. PM calculates it @ 32,400. Since swcg are rated on a 24 hour runtime I was surprised to get that much output at a reduced rate. I'm not complaining, just curious. I will, of course, monitor it closely and tweak it as needed.