Jameson101

Jun 7, 2021
Saint Louis
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a 25,000 gallon, chlorine pool. It uses a Pentair Rainbow 300 Chlorinator with Trichlor tablets. I filled it with 5 tablets this week and even put 1 extra in the skimmer. My chlorine is lower than .5 PPM and all the tablets have dissolved. I got my water tested nearby since they use a Waterlink Spintouch tester. The chlorine levels for Free and Total were .14. Does anybody know why no matter how many tablets I have dissolved in the pool my level won’t go up?!

P.S- This is the second time this has happened and I even set the chlorinator dial to a 5!

thanks!
Jameson

Jameson,

You need to take a look through our pool school...

If you have been using tablets, then most likely your CYA is way too high making the chlorine somewhat useless..

Or you have algae.. Either way, we tend not to just guess at what the problem is, but try to analyze test data to determine what the problem is..

Show the the following test data..

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt (If a saltwater pool)

Thanks,

Jim R.

Since it turned just a slight bit cloudy today, and your FC wasn’t holding, you were in the early stages of an algae outbreak. That cloudiness is algae. You need to raise your FC up to SLAM level for your FC and keep it there for about two days, then perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. A full SLAM is not likely in order but you soon see.

And the full test results are always a must and could possibly indicate something else but the rise in FC is needed regardless. Use liquid chlorine for this process.

The Test results are below! I just added about a gallon and a half of liquid chlorine and set the chlorinate to max.

FC- 0.14
TC - 0.14
pH- 7.2
TA- 77** (Added Alkalinity Up Today @ 1:00)
Calcium Hardness - 295
CYA - 85

*Edit- The pool was green when I opened it and to treat it I did slam it with 15 gallons of chlorine**

Reactions: bmoreswim
Can you do us a big favor and go to your profile and complete a signature with your pool’s details. You can use mine as a reference for what to put.

Reactions: Jameson101

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not likely. How are you testing your pool water chemistry? Please put the test kit you use in your signature.

Thanks. We do not recognize that as a proper test kit. And I am sure it does not test FC above 10 ppm. I would suggest at a minimum a FAS-DPD and CYA test kit from Taylor.

IF the 85 CYA is correct, you need to do a 50% drain and refill before you can follow the SLAM Process. No more trichlor. Liquid chlorine only.
I can drain and refill tomorrow morning. I have been using Members Mark Chlorinating Tablets. Do you think I should switch to something like the ones from Leslies? I’m afraid these might contain fillers or something I am unaware of to make them look better?

No Trichlor. They are 1/3 CYA. Every one you add to your pool adds 1.3 ppm CYA to your pool that does not leave.

No Trichlor. They are 1/3 CYA. Every one you add to your pool adds 1.3 ppm CYA to your pool that does not leave.

How much water do you think I need to drain in order to drop my CYA level? The pool is 25,000 gallons and my Cya level is 85

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.