Chlorine overnight

Russo221

Jun 8, 2016
Parlin , new Jersey
I want to start adding chlorine in the pool at night as I hear it's better. The thing is I have the pool running for about 9 hours during the day and don't want to have to run it all night considering when you're putting that stuff in the filter has to be running. Westerners how long does the filter have to be on after adding chlorine? And will having a solar cover on during that time affect it?

I want to start adding chlorine in the pool at night as I hear it's better. The thing is I have the pool running for about 9 hours during the day and don't want to have to run it all night considering when you're putting that stuff in the filter has to be running. Westerners how long does the filter have to be on after adding chlorine? And will having a solar cover on during that time affect it?

I'm not aware of any benefit to adding at night. Could you shed some light on that?

Generally you'd want to run your pump for no less than 30 minutes or so after a chemical addition.

Well cause I add chlorine when I need to early in the morning and basically the sun has full crack at it. I heard if you add it at night it will at least settle without the sun eating it early and lasting longer....so I heard..I could have heard wrong tho

There are some minor advantages to adding chlorine at night, namely that there is none lost to the sun for several hours so the FC level stays higher longer, but you are going to see very little actual difference. Much more important that you are checking and dosing your pool regularly than what time of the day you do it. Add when it is convenient to you.

I check mine every day around 9pm local. Since I got the water balanced it has been fairly predictable on chlorine consumption based on usage. So I think if the morning works for you if you have the correct range of cya then no worries. But I would aim for the higher end of your optimal chlorine range just to make sure that you stay better in the correct range.

What I do is put in a maintaince dose at night. I put in 48 oz each time without testing since that is usually the amount I have discovered I need each day. I run pump for about an hour or two after and then leave it off rest of night. In morning, I then do my testing. If I'm below top range of my target, I add the additional chlorine I need. I run pump again for about 6 hours during day

I have the same thought about adding chlorine at night so the sun doesn't eat it up, but I'm also very NEW to this TFP method. I just finished my first successful SLAM and I'm trying to figure out the best routine. I'm afraid my chlorine level will drop too low and I will have a swamp again. What spinPHD said sounds like a great idea. This way if it's low in the morning I can add chlorine before the sun starts to steal it.

13500 gal. 24' round vinyl pool, Hayward Sand filter, Taylor 2006 test kit

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's all about daily averages..... When you add the chlorine is irrelevant.... If a pool uses 4ppm of FC in 24 hours, it doesn't matter when you add as long as it is at 24 hour intervals.

For example #1, Lets say I add 4ppm of FC at 9pm at night. At 9am I am 1 ppm less (1ppm in 12 hours 9pm-9am), at 9pm I am back to my 4ppm used (3 additional ppm in 12 hours 9am-9pm).

For example #2, Lets say I add 4ppm of FC at 9am in the morning. At 9pm I am 3ppm less (3ppm in 12 hours 9am-9pm), at 9am I am back to my 4ppm used (1 additional ppm in 12 hours 9pm-9am).

4ppm in 24 hours either way .......

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.