Chlorine loss per day?

Jul 18, 2015
Zeeland MI
I know this is very dependent on location, bather load, etc but I am wondering how much chlorine loss you all see on an average day. Not sure what a good universal measurement would be for that. Maybe how many PPM you add per day? Or ounces of liquid added per 10,000 gallons?
I seem to lose about 3 ppm per day which equates to around 57 ounces of 12.5% chlorine per day for an 18,000 gallon pool. That is an average day maintaining a FC level of 6 with CYA at 50. Sound about right? Seems like a lot to me.

Is your pool in full sun? That could easily be burned off by UV over a large surface area. Test your FC just after sundown and test again before sun hits the pool the next morning, there should be no loss if there is nothing (orangic) in the water ;)

And 3ppm (during daytime) is very acceptable overall, I think it's 4-5ppm loss that gets concerning around here :)

You could try increasing your CYA slightly (which increases your min required FC level), but it might also give you more stability (again, assuming UV/sun exposure is the issue)

Reactions: A_kraker99
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.