Chlorine levels coming down very slow.

jimmerz

Jun 25, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi All. I am about 1 week into opening my pool cleaning out leaves and getting my CYA/FC levels where they are. When I initially brought my CYA level to 50 and my FC were at 22 with 0 CC. Now a little over a week later and my FC is 10 and CYA 50 pool is in direct sunlight and no cover. I did leave for 4 days and I had my neighbor run my filter for me. And since I was going to be gone I put 3 Tri-chlor pucks in my chlorinator. So, the pool is crystal clear and my FC are SLOWLY falling to my target og 5.7

I am just nervous that this has been way to easy so far???

A CYA of 50 will help to protect the FC being added to the water with the chlorine tabs, so it makes sense that FC is dropping slower. But remember, each tab is adding anywhere from 7-9 ppm of stabilizer (CYA) as well. Be very careful with those. We don't normally advise using tabs too long without watching the CYA level very closely. You were on vacation, so that may all you were using, but you may want to re-check your CYA soon.

Also as a reminder, remember that according to the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below) your target FC is 6 (for now) based on that CYA of 50. As the tabs increase your CYA, your FC target will also need to increase.

As for being too easy .... that's what TFP is about! Making it easier for you. :swim: Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.