Central NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
We just converted to SWG and opened about 3 wks ago. Since then our chlorine level has been around 10/11. I turned the salt output from 80 to 50, to 30 over the last week, and it just tested at 10 still. The salt level has dropped from 3200 to 2850 to now 2650 (below the recommended level). What should I be doing? Also, what should we NOT have done to start with so we don't repeat this problem again?

Levels:
FC: 10
pH: 7.5
CH: 450
TA: 160
CYA: 40

FWIW - I am NOT finding a SWG "easier" or less of a hassle than our traditional pool was... :mad:

Salt water is easier than non salt, at least for me. You just need to get it all dialed in. I'll let the pros make suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KYWILDCATS - It runs on HIGH for 9 hr during the day and LOW for 5 hr overnight. Now that i'm reading that it seems an awful lot, doesn't it? I know the pool guys increased run time because we constantly had debris floating along the top, though to be honest, I'm looking at the pool now, and the increased time has not cleared the waterline.

They recommend on here a higher CYA value than where you are at (60-80) for SWG pools. I don't know how much that will affect your issue other than holding more in reserve.

I noticed that, but wouldn't a low CYA level make me burn off more chlorine? Mine hasn't really moved all week :/

KYWILDCATS - It runs on HIGH for 9 hr during the day and LOW for 5 hr overnight. Now that i'm reading that it seems an awful lot, doesn't it? I know the pool guys increased run time because we constantly had debris floating along the top, though to be honest, I'm looking at the pool now, and the increased time has not cleared the waterline.

I'm no expert, but mine only runs about 6-8 hours a day in the middle of summer. I haven't even turned mine on yet, I am using Liquid Chlorine (Bleach) until my water temp comes up more. I would say your pool is still pretty cool in your location.

What is your water temperature?? Your SWG will continue to give you erratic salt readings until water is above 70 degrees. Most folks wait to turn their SWG's on but don't trust the salt readings until well over 60 degrees.

I can't remember all the details, but the cell uses temperature as part of the salt reading calculation. If you add salt, you risk the actual level being too high for the unit to function once temps rise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.