Chlorine level at closing

tolian21

Mar 27, 2019
NJ
Why shock level is recommended for closing?
If you have solid pool cover the high clorine level is bad for the cover and will shorten its life. If you add algecide and closing in colder temperature, it will be ok without shock level, no alge will grow

Solid covers deteriorate faster and become more brittle from high levels of chlorine. If you’ve been maitaining proper chlorine levels, I dont see why you should have bacteria growing in the dark.

You aren't considering the effect CYA has on chlorine. A pool at SLAM will have little negative effect on a cover. The UV from being exposed to sunlight for months will be far more detrimental to the life of the cover.

Reactions: Farmerswife96
Solid covers deteriorate faster and become more brittle from high levels of chlorine. If you’ve been maitaining proper chlorine levels, I dont see why you should have bacteria growing in the dark.
Take a look. 20 FC at 50 CYA has less Hypochlorous Acid than tap water with 1 FC @ 0 CYA

HOCl.gif

Reactions: Farmerswife96
I never have more than 30ppm of CYA.
Yes, UV light is an issue, I am just not sure anything can grow in the dark when pool is closed at colder temperatures. Anyway, I never SLAM my pool before closing and water was always clean at opening. Maybe SLAM is needed it you have mesh cover?

I never SLAM my pool before closing and water was always clean at opening.
Even at our best attempts each season, some pools simply turn green and others don't. Owners do their best to increase the FC level al bit at closing, while others try the Polyquat 60 route. Still, some pools simply react differently than the year before. It's not an exact science, and pools in various parts of the country react much quicker than others. But owners do their best with the info provided. The cold water certainly helps which is why our moto is always, "Close late - open early". Covers of various types have their own pros & cons as well. If your pool is cleaar each spring, you must be doing something right - don't change it. But for many, the insurance of increased chlorine (or using Poly 60) at closing helps get them through those critical 4-5 months.

I never raise my pool for closing. Make sure waters sparkling clear. Just add poly60 and close end of September. Always open to clear water in late April. I have a safety cover on my pool which allows fine sediment in. Three years ago we had an incredibly mild oct/nov, I was worried but the poly60 did it’s job thankfully.

Reactions: Texas Splash
I never raise my pool for closing. Make sure waters sparkling clear. Just add poly60 and close end of September. Always open to clear water in late April. I have a safety cover on my pool which allows fine sediment in. Three years ago we had an incredibly mild oct/nov, I was worried but the poly60 did it’s job thankfully.
Yeah, I dont think SLAM is always a must at closing. Solid covers are expensive, if I can help it last a bit longer its a win

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.