Enumjon

Apr 30, 2020
Tijeras, NM
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all. Since I had a little extra time over the holidays I figured I might as well go and test the pool. It has been closed for about 2.5 months. Has a mesh safety winter cover. Temperature is right at 32, since I had to break about 1/4 inch of ice to get to the water. At closing I raised the chlorine to SLAM level - it was at 24 the night before closing. I did not add polyquat or any other algae prevention, just chlorine. Yesterday the chlorine level was 9. It was a pleasant surprise to still have that much chlorine present. I thought that the chlorine would have all been used up with the sun and dirt that makes it through the mesh, but am happy to be wrong in that guess.

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Southern OK
I do exactly the same thing and it works... on a nice day in Jan I go out and bring the water back up to SLAM level to make sure I make it to Mar 1st and then open up :)

Reactions: Mdragger88

Mdragger88

Bronze Supporter
Jun 1, 2018
Hernando, Ms
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
@ Last years closing I did the same - about 28 ppm in late October (water below 60 degrees) then opened in April to 10ppm (water @ 60 degrees) I suspect this year will be the same. I have a solid cover though so I suspect your mesh cover allows in some organics- definitely keep a check on it periodically & open early to avoid a low fc situation 😊

Enumjon

Apr 30, 2020
Tijeras, NM
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Great, sounds like I am on the right track. I was hoping to mix the water around a bit, but of course my sump pump appears to have just died. Since we are at 7000 feet elevation we stay cold a bit longer, but I am still planning on opening April to May - and will make sure the fc level stays in line until then.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.