Chlorine level 0?

Mar 31, 2017
Nc
So I had been running 2ish ppm on chlorine since opening running 3” tablets in my in line chlorinator. I turned off the pump to add 2 Maytronics solar panels(verdict still out if they are working) and since since then I have twice had to shock the pool because the chlorine was reading 0 on by weekly check. At first I thought it was the in line unit but I’m thinking not after reading a lot more in pool school. My ph and alkaline level have stayed 7.5 and 120 so no changes there only a dip in chlorine. My tester(aquacheck) doesn’t show the other levels mentioned to check so I am ordering a new test kit tonight(any opinions on a good kit on amazon would be great). I have a theory though but I wanted to see if I am way off here. When I added the panels I changed the pump speed and timing to only run it when the panels are getting sun. Prior I was running 9am-7pm at 1200rpm with Chlorinator set at 3. Now I’m running 11am-5pm at 1500rpm(to get the 49gpm recommended by maytronics) still at a 3. I upped it to a 5 this week and same issue. Going to try a full output next. Is the shorter run time just not letting enough get into the water or do I have a chemical or algae issue? Oh and the water looks perfect by the way no clouds or visible issues. Thank you!!

Hello! :wave: Well, the good thing is you are ready to take charge and get the right test kit. Me personally, I went with the TF-100 (w/ speedstir) back in 2013 and have never looked back. (see link below). It's just that good. Since you have been relying 100% on tabs for chlorine (a TFP no-no), then with reduced pump run time, naturally the chlorine production diminished. We would have to know all of your other readings though as well.

So once you get your test kit, please post a full set of numbers. We'll be happy to help. In the meantime, get your hands on some "regular" bleach (nothing splashless, no scents, and no fabric additives) - just plain. In that size pool, add about 1/4 gallon this evening to help get your FC back up, and maybe another 1/4 gallon tomorrow evening. We'll be watching for your OWN test results as soon as your kit arrives.

Ok great thank you I’ll order that kit tonight to get a complete look at what I need. Yes I purchased the Clorox Xtra Blue tabs (pool is brand new haven’t even swam in it yet hasn’t been warm enough yet till this week). I just got home and don’t have any bleach in the house that has a percentage listed on the bottle. Clorox splashless is what the mrs uses would that be ok until I pick up some tomorrow? How long should I cycle the pump when I pour it in if so? Thanks!

NO! do not use the splashless bleach.

I would also recommend not use the Xtra Blue tabs (or any tabs really) as they likely have copper in them which can cause staining and green hair.

Ok thanks I’ll grab some at Walmart tomorrow. I also have some Clorox granular chlorine shock I could use for tonight? Pool builder was super old school for chemicals. Told me a swg would trash my heat pump in a year. I wanted to go that route originally. Once I get my levels correct I wanted to try to add salt to this setup at a lower ppm but I didn’t want to introduce salt until I get the other levels correct. 93 this weekend so planning on finally getting in!!

If the price is the same, then get the higher concentration.

I hesitate to suggest you add the powder chlorine because I am not sure what it is and either way, it could be adding something to your pool that you do not need, but won't know without test results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.