Chlorine Feeder

mkolb

Jun 1, 2018
White Lake, Michigan
Does anyone here use an automatic chlorine feeder? If I use the chlorine feeder on a daily basis, how quick is my CYA going to rise? I have always used the feeder in the past, but never really understood the FC/CYA until last week. It really seems like a pain to have to dump liquid chlorine in every day.

how quick is my CYA going to rise?
If it's always full with 5-8 tabs, it will increase fairly quickly if you have it wide open. Use the PoolMath tool to show you exactly how much CYA to expect. See "Effects of adding chemicals". Adding bleach isn't that bad really. A pool needs TLC everyday. Cleaning the skimmer, bumping the pump on high for a few minutes, etc. So going out there with some bleach and adding some isn't the worse thing as part of the routine. I do it every evening as well. Those tabs will catch-up with you though, so be careful.

When I moved away from tabs after 2 years, my CYA was 120, maybe higher.
If you decide to use them as a way to keep your pH from rising and the CYA stable in your pool, you MUST keep an eagle eye on it and do not fill your inline chlorinator with more than 3-4 tabs.
I find that 10% pool chlorinating liquid and 68% Cal-Hypo both cause my pH to rise. I've read they are both pH neutral when added to your pool water, but that is not the case for me.

Okay I’ll give the liquid chlorine a shot and see how it goes. Do you test for FC everyday and then add the necessary chlorine? Typically do it in the morning?

I would for at least two weeks. You will learn pretty quickly what you need to add each day. I was adding a half a jug of 8.25% bleach daily (64 oz). So once I kept getting the same results I started to just add the 64 oz daily and test every two to three days. I put in a SWCG this year and I still test every two or 3 days. I'd do it whenever is good for you so you make sure you do it regularly. E.g., if mornings are though to get it done then you're more likely to skip it so do nights. If nights are harder do it in the am.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.