Chlorine Dispenser/Distribution

AZMNGuy

Dec 31, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Pool Size
Good Morning Folks,

Been a member for a couple of years now but only posted a few times with basic automation questions with an existing pool, but I have since moved and have just completed a new pool build. Thanks to Covid, wow, was that an experience.

My search of the board only came up with a couple of similar questions that related to solar covers, but I do not have one and my concern wasn't addressed. I'm going to give the maintenance a go myself and one question I already have is, does my chlorine tablet dispenser need to move freely around the pool when it is circulating? Or, is it OK if it sits in one spot? I am finding there is a dead spot in one corner and this is where the tablet dispenser goes to die. It will sit there 24/7/365 if I don't do anything about it. Is this OK? Or, do I need to go out there and be relocating it each day? I have a variable speed pump and it runs a total of 12 hours per day so circulation overall shouldn't be an issue.

I'm curious in general, but one of the reasons for the ask is the pool was just started-up this past Monday, and as of yesterday (3 days later), the water test was barely picking up any chlorine. The explanation I was given is that "it can take some time."

Thanks folks. Looking forward to participating and learning from this community.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40

The use of trichlor in a floating dispenser is fine for when you are on vacation or need to bump your CYA a little, but not for daily chlorination purposes. Liquid chlorine (added daily) or a SaltWater Chlorine Generator are the sustainable methods to chlorinate your water.

The floater can move freely. The chlorine and CYA that is added will dissipate through out the water readily. Try moving one or more of your return eyeballs to see if you can get water movement in that dead area.

AZMNGuy

Dec 31, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Pool Size
Thanks Marty. I'll research what you have provided. Not to hijack my own thread, but I was originally interested in a SWG but we have travertine around the pool, and the builder was so incredibly adamant that salt water would destroy the travertine, they would not even provide a quote for this when I asked. Even with proper care/sealing. They are also saying not to even seal the travertine due to our hot AZ sun.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
If the travertine is such low quality that any water will damage it, then the salt water would have too.

If you use liquid chlorine or trichlor, your pool will have nearly the level of salt a SWCG pool has in about a year.

Reactions: proavia
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.