Chlorine depletion.

Tlc408

Jun 2, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a 12,500 gallon pool. Opened 1 week ago and it was cloudy. Cleared that, but now after 11lbs of shock my free chlorine is .2 and total chlorine is 2. I have taken apart the earth filter and cleaned the fingers. We drained a third of the pool and refilled it. I just added Phosfree and still no chlorine. All of my other levels are in range. Please help.

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit, see Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF100. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

mknauss is right on (I know he does not need my validation, but for a Newby getting more than 1 person suggesting the same can add assurance for you). Once you get the hang of the TroubleFreePool way, it will be so much easier and less expensive!! I would recommend that you stay out of the pool store.

Welcome to TFP!

It doesn't matter how long any one person has owned a pool, we treat everyone the same. We have yet to meet anybody who hasn't learned something new here, and every one of us continue to learn.

So to help we need test result numbers from a reliable source. That excludes pool store testing or test strips. Numbers you took yourself and the specific kit they were acquired with.
Specifically we need:
Free Chlorine
Combined Chlorine
pH
Total Alkalinity
Calcium Hardness
Cyanuric Acid

What kind of "shock" did you add? There's dozens of different chemical mixes sold as "shock", we need to know which one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.