Chlorine conversion well underway!

Fidesviva

May 26, 2019
Purcellville, va
So glad I found this forum and instructions for biguanide to chlorine conversion. I think all I did last summer was pour (expensive) oxidizer in my pool! I just opened the pool this past weekend - connected the plumbing, topped off the water level,removed the cover and started circulating. There was more biguanide left than I expected, but since I'm the only swimmer and I'm in no huge rush I didn't try to swap out more of the water. I just plunged in to calculating the chlorine amount using poolmath (very cool, BTW!) and pouring it in!
At first it didn't seem like much of anything was happening. Then I noticed a brownish haze developing around the outside of my round pool. (see picture taken about 10-15 minutes after first adding chlorine) It kept getting darker and darker, and finally the whole thing was an opaque reddish brown. Ugh! The filter pressure got pretty high in the course of the day, but when I backwashed, nothing changed and I didn't discharge the gunk I was expecting. So overnight at the end of the first day was wasted time because I switched over to just recirculating until I could figure out what was going on.
Well, next day, I took my filter apart and gave the sand a good hose deep-cleaning, thinking the baqua goo had perhaps somehow solidified or glued itself together. All sort of nastiness came out, but when I put it back together, still no gunky water coming out during backwash. WTF?!?! Turns out I am just STUPID first thing in the season, and even though I have been operating this filter for over 10 years, my brain randomly decided that backwash = "WASTE". DOH! As soon as I actually used the "backwash" setting, all kinds of nasty muck-water came out. Very satisfying....
I started this project without all the right testing stuff in hand. I have a TF-100 coming today or tomorrow. Until then, I've been using a little OTO chlorine test. That only goes up to 5 ppm chlorine - not enough for the shock levels that need to be maintained during conversion. But I played junior chemist and just used 1/4 the sample volume of pool water + 3/4 tap water (I'm on a well - no chance of containing chlorine) and multiplied the result by 4. Not precise in any sense of the word, but at least a general indicator of whether I was close to the chlorine level I was aiming for. I think.... Anyway, the good test will be here soon and we'll see.
In the meantime, I was pleased to find this morning that I could see to the bottom of the pool. Progress! Hope of swimming in a trouble-free pool someday soon!
-Linda

Attachments

• inital chlorine add.jpg
    inital chlorine add.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 32
They show you on the 'list' -- will try to not notify on them from now on!
They must have been desperate for Lee to have company then lol. I would have to go read the conversion process myself to make sure I had all the details. I just know, don't add CYA until the conversion is basically complete. And you have to replace filter media after.

Very cool picture..... I love gory looking Bacquagoo pics... please keep 'em up! :epds:

You are going to *love* how nice and easy your chlorine pool is. You will be shocked that water can look so... invisible?

Maddie :flower:

Happily, the pool water cleared up by yesterday morning and all the remaining gunk settled on the sides and bottom. I did a very poor brush and clean yesterday evening and this morning it's even better! Attached is a picture of the skanky stuff clinging to the bottom and sides before I brushed, and a picture of the "lovely" backwash outflow after. I'm just sad I didn't get a shot of the truly opaque backwash from the day before - it looked like mud!

I am also installing a new sand filter this season, which should be delivered today. As soon as the chemistry says it's time, I look forward to installing the new filter/media and getting this job almost done. I think I may be mostly done: using the little OTO kit I have, it seems that the FC kinda sorta stayed maybe the same-ish overnight (how's that for non-committal language!?). Tonight will be "learn the TF-100 test kit" night so I can get some "real" test results. I got it yesterday but was just too wiped out from a long day at work to do anything other than get it out of the shipping box. As soon as I get those results, I will have more to report.

Feeling great about progress so far.

Attachments

• pool slime.jpg
    pool slime.jpg
    383.8 KB · Views: 29
  • backwash2.jpg
    backwash2.jpg
    863.3 KB · Views: 27

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I finally had time last night to get familiar with the new test kit. When I got home, initial OTO chlorine test showed practically no chlorine. So I dosed with chlorine, then spent some time vacuuming some little gunk piles from the bottom and doing my best to brush the walls. I find it very challenging to brush the walls without being in the pool - reaching over the sidewall is not easy! I gave the filter a good backwash while I was at it - got more of the opaque reddish brown yuck. Then collected my sample to try out the TF-100 test kit and pH meter.

Last night: FC=15.5; CC=1.5, pH=7.6; TA=130; CH=175 (unless it's 275 - gotta ask some questions about how that test works).
This morning: FC=9.0, CC=1.0. So I added more chlorine before heading off to work.

The pool is looking very nice this morning with the super clear water and pretty clean surfaces - see picture.

Now all I need to do (besides finishing the chemistry stuff, of course) is to take care of the filter situation. The vendor sent the wrong one (Sandmaster instead of Hayward proSeries), and the ring stand was broken so I couldn't just use it even if I wanted to. And I've been having a bit of a challenge with timely follow-up and I'm afraid I may not have a new one in hand by the time it's ready for new media. Thankfully, the old one still works, but I'm not putting new sand in it only to replace it days later!

-Linda

Attachments

• thursday morning.jpg
    thursday morning.jpg
    445.9 KB · Views: 20
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.