Chlorine consumption is too high

Aug 17, 2017
Chandler
After joining TFP last year, I emptied pool in Dec, added CYA to 40ppm and checking the pool chemicals every 3 days.

My 12K gal plaster pool consumes high chlorine (or at least that is what I am thinking). I am adding HASA liquid chlorine 1/2 a gallon every 3 days as the Chlorine is dropping to near 0 on third day. Had to dump gallon once as I saw some green algae once. But now it seems perfect.

Checked the chemicals this morning

Chlorine - near 0, added 3/4 gallon and it ballooned to 5.5 (FC), no CC for sure (before or after chlorine addition)
PH 7.8
Phosphates - 120 (could be the reason why chlorine is consumed faster, I hear phosphates in water is the food for algae)
CH - 225
TA - 130

Am I over thinking or am I missing something with chlorine consumption?

You are not adding chlorine often enough. You need to add it nearly every day so that the FC never dropped below the minimum listed for your CYA in the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

Since you've allowed the FC to drop too low you likely have stuff growing in your pool and probably need to follow the SLAM Process process.

Phosphates are completely meaningless if you maintain adequate chlorine in the pool.

You are not adding chlorine often enough. You need to add it nearly every day so that the FC never dropped below the minimum listed for your CYA in the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

Since you've allowed the FC to drop too low you likely have stuff growing in your pool and probably need to follow the SLAM Process process.

Phosphates are completely meaningless if you maintain adequate chlorine in the pool.

Ditto!

You aren't adding chlorine properly.

That is it. I need to add chlorine every day then. Glad I have asked before it got too hot with dust storms lurking around.
I will add 1/4 of the gallon every day and see how it works.

- - - Updated - - -

Ditto!

You aren't adding chlorine properly.
I will start adding 1/4 of the gallon every day in the morning. May be that will get the FC higher and then adjust my chlorine after a few days.

It will be more effective if you add it in the evening. If that is not an option, then morning it is. :)

I would suggest you bump your CYA up to 60-70 for the Arizona sun. Your FC level will end up more stable that way.

A quarter of a gallon is not necessarily what you need to add everyday. You need to test your FC level and Target an FC level high enough so that it will not drop to the minimum by the next day you test and add.

A quarter of a gallon is not necessarily what you need to add everyday. You need to test your FC level and Target an FC level high enough so that it will not drop to the minimum by the next day you test and add.

That was my plan.

Add the chlorine for three days and then test each day to check the FC levels for the CYA in my pool.

I am going to add chlorine in the evening from Wednesday next week as i had already dumped a gallon this morning.

This might take a week to reduce TA FIRST and then increase/maintain FC levels.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
....Chlorine - near 0, added 3/4 gallon and it ballooned to 5.5 (FC), no CC for sure (before or after chlorine addition)....

What strength is that Hasa chlorine? 12.5%? If so 3/4 gal in a 12k pool should have raised FC by 7.8. That plus the residual you had would maybe be 8. The fact you only measured 5.5 suggests you have stuff growing. Not suprising given you were letting the FC drop below minimum levels.

I'll defer to the experts but personally i would follow the SLAM process as was previously mentioned to get things back under control or at least verify you don't have a problem.

What strength is that Hasa chlorine? 12.5%? If so 3/4 gal in a 12k pool should have raised FC by 7.8. That plus the residual you had would maybe be 8. The fact you only measured 5.5 suggests you have stuff growing. Not suprising given you were letting the FC drop below minimum levels.

I'll defer to the experts but personally i would follow the SLAM process as was previously mentioned to get things back under control or at least verify you don't have a problem.

There was some algae last week and I suspect there might be some residual deal algae. I am going to backwash in two days and start over the process.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.