Chlorine burn rate?

smuggs

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 10, 2007
Gloucester County, NJ
With a CYA level of approximately 50 in a 28,000 gallon pool, how much chlorine should I expect to burn each day (assuming nothing is consuming the chlorine levels) ? I'm currently running Trichlor but am looking to switch to the Liquidator. Based on some other posts I have read, it seems like 2ppm/day is the estimate I should use. Based on this, I would then expect to need to introduce 116oz/day of 6% bleach. This would then translate to needing to fill the 4 gallon Liquidator every 5 - 6 days or every 9 days if I were to use 12.5% chlorinating liquid. Does this sound right? Based on this, I'm thinking that I may be better off going with the 8 gallon Liquidator....thoughts?

JasonLion

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
That all sounds about right. Actual chlorine usage will vary depending on the amount of sunlight you get, but somewhere around 2 or 3 ppm is a good guess.

smuggs

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 10, 2007
Gloucester County, NJ
well, the pool is right out in the open and we get beat on from 10 - 11am on in the summer. So, it's sounding to me that the 8 gallon liquidator would make more sense so that I can get at least a week before refilling