Chlorine and ph

Another Chlorine related question What is the recommended approach to dealing with sun cream? Any special steps needed? I realise no sun cream in pool is the ideal but not practical in reality. I’ve a sand filter.

Generally as new pool owners we’ve been careful to shower before getting in.

Any other downsides to not doing this e.g if sweaty.

Is it just more cl use and more cleaning, like the scum line?

Im Trying to work whether the hassle of showering is greater or less than the additional pool maintenance if we don’t.

We don’t get a lot sun on it as the pool is sort of indoors.

I get out of our pool I feel like I just got out of the shower. Properly maintained pool water should be very refreshing.

A quick update. Until the next curveball comes in I think I ve got into a steady state.

Cl demand seems to be about 0.6 per 24 hours.

ph a touch on the high side at around 7.9 but I think this is just about ok?

i put the cover on every day and only remove to swim, although wonder if that’s overkill now the weather is warm

thanks all. Much appreciate the warm welcome and all the advice I’ve been given.
2234404B-CBDF-4399-A123-AAEFBAF8C6AF.jpeg

So I thought I had things under control..

I thought that I’d try and bring my slightly high but stable 7.9ish PH down a notch to be 7.7-7.8. So I added some hydrochloric acid 32pct.

initially the ph dropped but now it’s climbed to 8.1.

TA was 180 pre acid. Now 160.

What am I doing wrong - is it normal to need to keep adding acid. I kinda wish I’d left alone now!

Ive been adding liquid chlorine and nothing else for sanitation.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
James,

Just read through this thread. A couple of things to mention:
  • Based on previous posts, it appears you may have the same color-blind several of us have (mostly men have it). It causes difficulty in the orange-red- purple. Get your wife to check it and don't tell her your interpretation. If this confirms the difficulty get a digital pH probe. I use the Hanna Phep model. Not too expensive and very reliable. Does require calibration but seems to hold for a week or two. Also is not affected by high FC like the drops test. My wife is dead on with the pH meter. I'm all over the map. Never knew I had this before. I pass the standard pattern tests for color blindness.
  • Your TA level is high and could be contributing to your high pH. Acid addition followed by aeration reduces TA over time but it takes several cycles. Here's how.
I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Thanks Chris,
I used both a colour scale and also a lovibond photometer and I think both look to give similar results.

I’m very confused by what’s going on though as I added another dose of hydrochloric acid 32 pct that I thought would give me a drop in ph of about 0.1 but seems to have gone up again. As has the TA back to 180. No aeration between adding acid and reading.

im judging my dosing based on the mutraic acid 29pct in the pool math app. But going on the cautious side given it’s a bit higher pct.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.