Chlorine after bromine - Hot Tub

clancopolis

Apr 10, 2021
Georgetown/MA
Hi team, I am a Chlorine guy - grew up with a pool and that's what we do. BUT, just replaced a Hot Tub (SPA - I don't really like that word) and it comes with a Bromine Starter Kit. Once that runs out I am wanting to go back to Chlorine like I did in the old hot tub. Is there danger in the residual Bromine left in the Hot Tub even if (or if not) the water is changed? WHAT REALLY HAPPENS if they mix? I've been asking around conversationally but thought this would be a much better place to get the real skinny.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

If there is bromine in the tub the chlorine will “replenish ” it.
To have a chlorine tub you must exchange all the water & start fresh
Be sure to do an Ahhsome purge before u drain & refill so u start out with no bio films. A purge, flush, refill should remove all the bromine.

Thanks Mdragger. I'm looking at the Ahhsome and a drain/refill once Bromine is gone but to that end, what actually is the issue that forces the purge/flush/refill that is declared as mandatory? What happens if you do not and the chlorine and bromine are active in the same water?

Even new tubs can have biofilms as they are wet tested at the factory so moisture can sit in the lines & grow nastiness while in transit to you necessitating a purge.
If you have bromine in the tub & add chlorine it will just convert to bromine. Not a problem if that’s what you want to happen- but it will not be a chlorine tub it will still be bromine.

Thank you again Mdragger88. So on a chemistry level (on which I do not live) if Bromine and Chlorine are active at the same time in water, the Chlorine actually changes to Bromine? And sorry if I am redundant, but is that harmful in any way? I appreciate your responses and knowledge :)

Yes - & not harmful - people actually do this on purpose - read up in the sticky thread i linked & you will find a better explanation. I personally don’t care for the complexities of bromine systems- ymmv.

I will not use bromine in my hot tub as the kids like to bounce back and forth between pool and hot tub. I don't want ANY bromine in my pool cause who knows how much bromine it takes over time to turn my pool into a bromine pool. Eeegads.

Bromine weakens over time but doesn't seem to go away. Adding chlorine "Refreshes" the bromine (or is it refreshing the bromide turining into bromine... I can never remember, lol).

Maddie 🖖

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.