Chlorinating a winterized pool

If the water is still mostly clear, I think that it's worthwhile to chlorinate with liquid chlorine.

As long as you brush the pool, the chlorine should be well distributed.

Make sure that there are no sticks or rocks before brushing so that you don't scratch the liner.

If you have someone brushing the pool while you slowly pour in the liquid chlorine, the chlorine will mix even better.

Reactions: splashpad
@Wswail I walk along the side of the pool and pour liquid chlorine in to bring it up to SLAM level.. Once poured in I brush the pool bottom from one side to the other to "mix" everything... Getting ready to do it this week :)

Reactions: splashpad
I have never put a cover on, mostly because of no trees and leaves near my property... I do get some but less than 20 leaves in the pool over winter... I have my pool open until the water reaches below 50 degrees and open before it gets 50 degrees.. So it is only closed Dec to Mar... I take mine to SLAM levels before I close in Nov/Dec and I have had no issues and completely clear water for over 4 years...

There is nothing saying you have to cover a pool :)

I live in VIrginia Beach and I closed up my pool this year but kept the cover off. I am getting some algae. I read about adding liquid chlorine. How do I add LC to a non, circulating pool without bleaching my liner?
Is this an AGP or in-ground?
If you have 2 people available (although one person can do it easily), make sure to create water motion/"circulation" and the liquid chlorine will dissipate into the water without damage :)
Basically, just don't dump the "whole dose" into one standing spot :)

Can you add your pool info to your signature please? (It helps us give you more informed responses) https://www.troublefreepool.com/account/signature

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello and Welcome to TFP!!
With no pump, you can walk around the pool while adding the liquid chlorine. Then take a regular broom, your pole with net, oar and stir the water by walking around it a couple of times. That should be plenty to prevent any damage.
What is your water temp? Once it is in the mid 60's, you can open and clear the pool completely.
In order to perform the SLAM process, you need running equipment and to be able to regularly test and add chlorine until the process is complete. Unless you can do all of the steps in the SLAM process now, it is best to wait until you can. Only doing some of the steps is a recipe for failure and we would hate to have that happen.

While in your waiting time, please read through Pool School, the SLAM process, order a quality test kit (TF-100 is my favorite) and get familiar with what needs to happen when it's time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.