Chickened Out - Cutting Skimmer In 15'x48" Prims Graywood Intex Pool

Rustic_Chris

Aug 19, 2020
Califorina
Well I was going to install and cut the hole for the Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer today since I'm back from my trip. But I chickened out.....

I tried to add a large patch where I was going to put it and cut into the liner but the large patch would hold probably because it was a big patch. So since that didn't work; I chickened out.....

The intake/return holes were easy and I didn't even think nothing about those; but it's because they had the reinforcement around them. This time there is no reinforcement where I'm cutting and putting the skimmer. Plus the liner of the pool seems so tight that I makes me think it's just going to rip right open the minute I cut the hole. I know the liner should be tight like that but it makes you think.......

Trust me I still want to install this skimmer but....just really nervous and don't want to ruin my pool that we spent so much for and for the accessories to.

Grrrrrr.....

Tomorrow maybe.........

While the first cut can be nerve wracking, it is a common feeling, lol. You have had two practice runs with the cutting. Now time for the big show. There have been many members that have done this, and I can’t find any who said they messed up or ruined the liner.
Use the bezel to draw the hole, use a sharp blade, take your time. You got this!

you can do it a little different, install it will all the screws exactly where you want it and after it is completely installed cut the liner out of the middle... :)

No way it can rip then as the skimmer will be holding the liner

I cut mine with a full pool, after I installed the skimmer,..easy peasy! Just do it!

Attachments

• IMG_1091.jpg
    IMG_1091.jpg
    602.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1092.jpg
    IMG_1092.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1093.jpg
    IMG_1093.jpg
    305.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1096.jpg
    IMG_1096.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1097.jpg
    IMG_1097.jpg
    445.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1122.jpg
    IMG_1122.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 31
Well I did it....
After lunch I went out and poked the holes for the screws and screwed on the skimmer to the liner. I then started to hard pipe the skimmer to attach it to the rest of my hard pipe I already had going to my pump/filter. Then I filled the skimmer with water to see if I had any leaks. I let it sit from 3pm until 6pm and it looked good. I wasn't going to cut the skimmer hole on the liner until tomorrow morning but I decided the heck with it and jumped in the dirty water and cut out the skimmer hole.

So it's all done....
But I haven't started the pump/filter yet because I am letting the piping glue set at least until tomorrow morning to give it at least over 12 hours to setup and get closer to its strongest strength. If I wait the full 24 hours it won't be until 3 pm tomorrow but people want to swim and I need to clean up the water and get some chemicals in it. So will start it up tomorrow morning and see how it all goes.

But so far so good; although I didn't like the ripping sound of poking the holes for the screws. I started with something small then used different size blunt sharp objects to go bigger and bigger. Each one sound like the liner was ripping. So hopefully everything is okay....

Anyhow thank you for all your guys help and thank you for all the support. I really appreciate it.

I'll try to get pictures soon....

Awesome, the first hole is always the hardest.. try doing it to a perfectly good 80,000 dollar boat designed to keep water out and people look at you really weird when you start drilling into the side of it :)

I cut mine with a full pool, after I installed the skimmer,..easy peasy! Just do it!

Thank you for the pics. I’ve been worried about fitting a skimmer onto my rectangular XTR as the sides seem to bow more than the rounds ones that most people seem to have. This gives me some confidence, just need to find a skimmer at a reasonable price in the U.K. then it will be a job for next year as temps in UK are too cold for the pool now.
Do you think it will come off easily when I need to store the liner for winter?

Thank you for the pics. I’ve been worried about fitting a skimmer onto my rectangular XTR as the sides seem to bow more than the rounds ones that most people seem to have. This gives me some confidence, just need to find a skimmer at a reasonable price in the U.K. then it will be a job for next year as temps in UK are too cold for the pool now.
Do you think it will come off easily when I need to store the liner for winter?
once you put a skimmer in and hard pipe the pool is there and you do not put it up for the winter but you would winterize it :) They last much longer leaving them up, less chance for holes and punctures and cracking..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.