Chemicals for a new pool over the winter

TC68

May 13, 2021
Virginia
Well we they are finally getting our pool equipment installed after a long year waiting. We are in Virginia and the pb does not think our heat pump will warm the water enough to get the salt in it so he thinks it will be best to close it and add salt in the spring when we open the pool. My question is ... he is telling us he does not need to add any chemicals to the water for the pool to set all winter. Is this true?

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

he is telling us he does not need to add any chemicals to the water for the pool to set all winter. Is this true?
Nope, not true. But your pool type could influence our guidance, so be sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. See mine as an example. Without a doubt you'll need some stabilizer for the CYA level, some liquid chlorine, and perhaps some muriatic acid to lower the pH if it's too high. But be sure to test your water with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit to be sure. Any other testing is almost a waste.

The links below should help get you started.

Nope, not true. But your pool type could influence our guidance, so be sure to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. See mine as an example. Without a doubt you'll need some stabilizer for the CYA level, some liquid chlorine, and perhaps some muriatic acid to lower the pH if it's too high. But be sure to test your water with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit to be sure. Any other testing is almost a waste.

Hello!! Thank you so much! I will update my signature and check out the links you provided. I appreciate your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.