Chemical balance with heater

Aug 19, 2018
Deer Park/NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My husband is installing a heater for our pool tomorrow. I’ve heard that certain things like hardness need to be right in order to not damage the heater. It’s a stainless steel heat exchanger so my husband feels that because it’s stainless it won’t get affected by the water but I’m not so sure about that. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi. I have been debating whether or not to increase my CH and am looking for some serious input before I bother wasting money on unneeded chemicals. In past years when I would bring my water to be tested (yes, before I found this site I used to get my water tested at Leslie’s 😬) my CH was always low and most of the store reps would tell me that if I don’t have a heater then I don’t need to worry about CH because I have a vinyl pool. Well now this year we finally installed a heater. It’s a stainless steel heat exchanger that is piped right to our house’s hot water heater. My current CH is 125. I did read somewhere on this site that ~200 is a safe minimum level so should I increase my CH? Will my current level affect the heater at all? My husband thinks that because it’s stainless steel it won’t be affected by any chemical levels. Is that true?

P.S. - since finding this amazing site I do already know that pH is something I need to pay close attention to as that can definitely damage the heater.

Thanks. I have read that before and that’s where I heard about the CH minimum of ~200. I don’t know if that applies to all heaters or only certain kinds. Mine is a stainless steel heat exchanger so I don’t know if that makes any difference 🤷🏻‍♀️

I edited it to clarify that it only applies to gas heaters as Marty pointed out.

Reactions: librajenn626

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.