Check valves

Alexr54

Jun 17, 2015
Florida
I’m redoing some plumbing for my equipment.
I’m not sure about which check valves to use.
I’m adding a check valve in front of each filter for my pool/spa.
Can I use the regular type of in line check valves sold in hardware stores?
Or should I use the jandy type of valve with a flapper?
Or something else maybe I am not aware of?
I’m concerned about possible pressure loss due to the design of the check valve. Not sure if it’s a valid concern or not.

Alex,

If I were going to use a check valve, it would be a Jandy style check valve.. They do go bad or get dirty and leak, so being able to open them and replace the guts is something that I'd want to be able to do..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes the flapper valves are serviceable that is true. But at the same time they always need to be serviced (every year or 2). I currently have 2 of the flapper valves at my cleaning system end.
I guess now i need to service 4 of them. I suppose this is the correct way of plumbing it, with the flapper check valves. These flapper valves also have less of flow restriction as the conventional check valves.

Last edited:
Alex,

That is the first time I have heard about having to "service" them.. I guess in most cases you would not even notice if they are bad, depending on what they are being used for.. Most that I have seen are many years old and still working.. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

I’d agree with alex, mine were 17 years old, in full sun every day, and just started to leak by this spring. New flapper and cover assy and good as new! I personally would stay away from cheap store bought checkvalves from lowes, homedepot, etc

I decided to go with the pentair CPVC check valves with a flapper.
I also had a leak from one of my other jandy type check valves and needed to replace the flapper in both of them.
One flapper fell off and was easily removed and replaced. One flapper fell off and was missing until I found it behind a fitting in my spa (about 40 feet away from the check valve).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.