Chattanooga, Tennessee Rectangle

Meowloud

Bronze Supporter
Mar 3, 2017
Chattanooga, tn
Hello TFP! You probably don't get tired of hearing this... but THANK YOU for this remarkable online resource! :grin:

We are very far out so not a lot of choices in pool contractors. Got a few estimates and we're going for a vinyl pool sized 16 x 32 x 8. This contractor has excellent reviews, has been in business locally for many years, and is family owned. So far so good. They offer turn-key packages which is nice because as much as I want to pour over every single thing, I'm trying this new thing called 'relaxing'. We sold a house we tediously renovated for 8 years and was equivalent to the Tom Hanks' movie, "The Money Pit", so I'm really trying not to stress and lose sleep over every detail.
This contractor uses Hayward exclusively. Will have sand filter, vs ecostar pump, regular concrete decking, and plumbing/electrical for a waterfall. I didn't want them to put it in because I love to tinker and masonry build stuff. I will have them make sure the ground under the decking is reinforced/packed correctly.

Few questions if anyone would like to help one or all:
1. Is the ecostar pump good for this application? Worth the upgrade to save energy and money?
2. I'm insisting on 2" plumbing. Is this necessary?
3. I took out the in-floor cleaning after reading here. Robot will be just as good?
4. Any bad experiences with these turn-key kind of deals?
5. OT, does anyone have any good remedies for controlling wasps!?

THANK YOU!
Picture of the proposed pool area. 2011 Tornado came through and took out another acre where the wind comes from so we don't have to worry about much debris getting in the pool!

Attachments

• poolarea.jpg
    poolarea.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 733
Hopefully this helps
1. Your electric rates should be pretty low if similar to Nashville on the TVA power grid, I'm running a 2speed pump and keep on low most of the time, It can run 24/7 and cost about $20/month.
2. I ran 2" to everything, cuts down on the pump pressure
3. We just use a robot, and have good luck keeping it clean, no second pump needed and easily replaceable in the future as they all seem to break
4. Can't answer this one, we GC'd ourselves, but I would think if the company has a good reputation and has been around for a while you should be good.
5. No good answer here, we have them around our pool as well. I have gotten good at knocking them out of the air

Thank you both for the replies! Sseaman, I've changed my mind and you've saved me money (check is in the mail)!! :D You made a great point about our TVA energy. I think I'll be better off with a 2-speed or Inyopools.com has a tristar 2300VSP discontinued and a great price! It is programmable which is nice for the lazy in me.

These wasp are ridiculous around here. I made one of the DIY wasp trap last year and maybe I should make more of them, Kim? I don't like killing anything but even in our above ground pool last year they will haunt around for the water and land on your head! EEEKKK! We're talking 50 wasps in an afternoon Armageddon!

Gotta make a decision today about a pump. Opinions welcome and APPRECIATED!!

1. The Hayward Tristar Variable SP3200VSP
OR
2. Hayward Max-Flo Variable SP2300VSP

Other than price, is there any main difference that would affect our pool maintenance? We'll have 2" plumbing. Needs to be Hayward equipment, as our PB is Authorized installer and area rep. Thanks!

Thank you Sseaman, we went with your recommendation, the tristar!

I've lost so much faith in my builder but after signing contracts and paying 25%, I feel stuck. Plus, if I raised a stink... no one else can do a liner pool here, only gunite. Problems are they are late starting with no answers, no excuses, and no firm date of start in sight. They were hopefully starting early in mid-late March but our contract start date was over a week ago. I can let a start date slide a bit, but getting a little bit of attitude when I wanted 2" piping! Not only that, to offset the cost, I'm buying the pump (offered because I don't want the single pump). I told him that I wanted a 'good guts' pool. Not the cadillac of pools, but something with good bones and foundation that way we can build off of that. Sooooooo, I'm going to buy all of the equipment and valves that way I know I'm getting what I want. I don't know what they will do to the contract price and it aggravates me, but anything I spend will be made up in a season or 2, from what I've read online.

It is partly my fault for not being more commanding but I don't want to make them mad since they are the only vinyl liner installer. They have great reviews, but I feel like they are more cookie-cutter and I'm getting pushed aside until they want to deal with me. Thank you for letting me vent peeps!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are several vinyl builders in Cartersville, which shouldn't be too far from you. Have you talked to them?

We are close to signing with a company in Canton that does 2" standard. That may be too far from you though.

I can't help with the specs, I'm learning along with you. But to help with feeling stuck.

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

Meow...I'm so sorry they are not doing right by you! But you are doing well to insist on the things that you want. I'm sure it will be everything you have dreamed but you've got to watch them every step of the way! I know everyone here will help to make sure you get what you want when they finally show up.

Paul got us these flying insect swatters at Walmart. I haven't tried them yet so I can't attest but I'm sure I will be putting them to use. I don't like to kill a living thing either, but the wasps can't live around the pool!

Crystal

IMG_2673.jpg

Thank you elizardbethday, kimkats, and Crystal for all your kind words. We've got ourselves into a "we only like to do cookie-cutter' situations, but by golly they're going to do it our way OR give back our money! :eek:
I've continued to search for other installers and the problem is that we're so far out. I'm trying to work on my side of stuff with still cleaning up after tornado, improving chicken coop, creating a dry creek bed, and maybe moving a gazebo. Oh, and the big item of the day is catching Bill Murray our resident groundhog in that part of the yard. I've found a farm that will take her (Bill had kits last year), but she is being lazy and won't get up and get into the cage this morning! I couldn't believe that even the Tennessee Wildlife told me to kill her, that they're deemed a pest here! I read online that groundhogs are dimishing at alarming rates.

GOT TO remember to order my kit today that way I can get my well water tested on the kit. Had it tested last year (little iron) and also we are having water trucked in for the fill-up... but it's something to do that is POOL RELATED and I'm just so excited to get water again I want to do SOMETHING! Obsession maybe?? :joker::whip:

Edit: Crystal, we're going today to get those swatters you suggested! YAY
Also, contractor talked me OUT of getting a robot and have added a Baracuda G3 suction cleaner for $600. After coming home and reading I really feel gouged!

I was going with the suction side cleaner because I was stupid at the time. I've read soooo much on TFP about the chemistry and the pipe differentials that I absolutely lost it on the bling/maintenance end. I SHOULD be focused on the END RESULT.
The bling is what is nice and what most enjoy out of their pool daily.
I had a regular white light in our contract (with the turn-key) and thought that anything else would be other than normal. THEN I read here, and LED is the normal now, and of course much more energy efficient and not the white lights when growing up with my pool in the 80's!
My main concern was that they were environmental with our pool, and TFP has taught me NO. I need to stand up now and try to get this as eco-friendly as possible. If I compromise more by buying my own Hayward equipment (contractor doesn't want to do a 500 lb sand filter), and getting the best pump (thank you Sseaman), then it doesn't matter how the installer is really, as long as it is within regulations.

I need to just buy a dolphin robot now that I've read. I'm sure the way things are going, I can't dedicate skimmer time with the only skimmer.

Probably manual liquid chlorination at first. Just to get the feel of the water.
I'm hoping that I can tell what the water is doing, like other members.

It'll be a routine, chickens, orchard, pool

Chickens start about 05:00 Eastern

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.