Changing to Salt

goz63

Sep 28, 2019
Vancleave, MS
Well it looks like I am taking the plunge. Came into a Hayward Goldline T-Cell 9 and am having it installed. Working on getting my CYA down. It was 147 duet to my chlorinator that used the tabs. Doing a simultaneous water swap as my fiberglass pool will float out of the ground if I drain it. Having to deal with the tannin from my well but chlornine will take care of that when I am done. Live in the deep south so I should have this all up and running by March when it gets warm enough to start swimming.
More to follow....

Good move, you won’t be disappointed. How are you testing your water. A CYA of 147 suggests maybe a pool store? If so, you really need your own test kit.

I have the test kit from here. Will be using that. Yes the 147 is a pool store but I had tested it too and it was over 100. Didn't want to do another diluted test to see what my test kit will show. I have to wait until the tannin in my well water is taken out. I am trying to get in the ball park and then use my kit. My well water turns my pool gold color. Chlorine takes it out though. As your sig block suggests, "Just say no to pucks!". That is what got me in this mess. The previous owners used them with a chlorinator. Now my CYA is way too high. At least once I get that diluted out it stays put.

So after my water exchange I am at I think 95 for my CYA. I am still getting used to the test kit and looking at that black dot. So if that is true I am close. I will wait a day or so and do another exchange to get the level down to 70-75. That is my target for the SWG that will be installed this afternoon. My FC is high at 14 but as I indicated with the tannin I want it to eat that up so not worried about that. I have a little bit of yellow algae on the pool sides from the high CYA level binding up the FC so I will SLAM the pool after I get the CYA level where I want it. Then I can start getting the SWG set up. Hopefully that will not be a hard process. Wish me luck...

If you know you have algae, then I suggest that you get your CYA down to 50 or less before starting the SLAM.. The lower the CYA the easier, and less costly, the SLAM will be..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Ok, I have the CYA down to 70 and getting the rest of the stuff up to speed. I have a few questions regarding a Hayward Goldline T-9. I was able to get one from a neighbor, long story, that was getting rid of everything. He is a real nice guy and just gave it to me. I had it installed an all was looking fine but now I seem to be having trouble with the controller. When you move from auto to super chlorinate and back it is supposed to go from apothecary to metic. It went to metric and won't come back. Am I doing something wrong here?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.