Changing Plumbing - need advice

dis00

Nov 9, 2016
Brunswick OH
I recently bought a new pump (Pentair Tristar VS) and a new DE filter (Pentair FNS Plus) to replace the old equipment when we bought the house. The current plumbing the is above the ground is basically flew pipes. I have the skimmer line and the main drain line coming out of the ground as PVD pipes, each line has a shut of valve. After the valve the connect together with pvc pipe and the aft that there is a barbed nipple thing then a flex pipe attached to that going to the pump inlet. From the pump outlet there is another flex pipe going to the filter. From the filter there is a single flex pipe that connects to the return valve in the ground. There is also a waste pipe that goes to the house drain that the flex pipe can be switched to for draining etc.

I would like to change this to an all PVC design. I have purchase the following

A bunch of PVC pipe and elbows/adapters
263037.jpg
i plan on using this 3 way valve between the filter and the waste line

263038.jpg
I bought 2 of these to replace the home depot ones that are currently there

homewerks-worldwide-unions-511-14-1-1h-64_400_compressed.jpg
I have couple of these which I was going to put before and after the pump so it could be easily removed.

Since im doing the whole thing should I put anything else in the plumping? I only have 1 skimmer, 1 main drain and 1 return valve.

d,

The union you show in your original post is not a pump union.. You can use them, but it takes away the real advantage of a pump union. Pump unions have an o-ring on the threaded end which eliminates leaks around the threaded input and output connections to the pump.

I don't believe that Pentair makes the TriStar VS... :p

Here is a link to what a pump union looks like... https://www.amazon.com/PACK-Hi-Temp-Union-Whisperflo-Intelliflo/dp/B00AKMV4K8/ref=asc_df_B00AKMV4K8/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198092864586&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13157163008579626827&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9027206&hvtargid=pla-349906384064&psc=1

The link just shows what they look like, you need to make sure you get the proper size for your pump... 1.5" or 2"..

Thanks,

Jim R.

d,

The union you show in your original post is not a pump union.. You can use them, but it takes away the real advantage of a pump union. Pump unions have an o-ring on the threaded end which eliminates leaks around the threaded input and output connections to the pump.

I don't believe that Pentair makes the TriStar VS... :p

Here is a link to what a pump union looks like... https://www.amazon.com/PACK-Hi-Temp...ocphy=9027206&hvtargid=pla-349906384064&psc=1

The link just shows what they look like, you need to make sure you get the proper size for your pump... 1.5" or 2"..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks, Jim. I actually have them. I think i must have ordered them after getting the white ones shown and forgot....

I just dug around the pipes coming from the pool so I can start the process of changing them. The three pipe going to the pool are black. The are connected to the current pvc pipes with some threaded barbed adapter and jubilee clips shown below
maleadapter_insert_3.jpg

The barbed end is inserted into the black pipes and the a white threaded PVC union screws onto the threads. I assume that doing away with as much of these threaded parts is a good idea (?) with the white pvc couple together with the white stuff?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
4960c54af091f3b7ac56c826bf0129a7.png

Just a different perspective, waste/filter valve in tank bulkhead. Maybe save yourself some room, just food for thought.

Cartridge filter in photo FYI..

I see a standpipe in your tank, DE cartridges??
I have never seen a DE cartridge filter in the field.

Pump & filter can be spun to face suction pipes, eliminating lots of spaghetti.

With Pentair 3 way valve you can create my orientation with the stop pins.

For your smaller backyard pool without features, you can’t really go wrong. A cleaner set up is more enjoyable to operate & repair though.

F311AF99-549C-4415-9F35-004814C27433.jpg After rotating the pump and the filter this is my new dry setup. I didn’t cut or resize any of the pieces so it’s not straight in places but this gives you an idea

I tried looking at putting the 3-way valve on the bulk head but my inlet is the bottom one and there isn’t enough room to get to the waist pipe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.