Silver Supporter
Apr 9, 2020
Gold Canyon AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just performed a full chemical test using my new TF-100 kit. I had drained 1/4+ of my pool a couple of weeks ago attempting to lower my CYA. I drained an additional 1/4+ a couple of days ago. Today my CYA registered 45. Good. However my CH remains high at 850! I tested my pool-fill water and it registered 500 so I'm fighting a losing battle here I think. I watched a short video posted by a member showing an alternate method of adding regents but I'm not sure the method described would result in a significant change. Do I just have to live with high CH? What damage would I begin to notice? EDIT: The pool is about 5 years old and has been monitored by a "pool boy" for the last 4 years.
Todays results:
CC 1.5
FC 4.5
PH 8.2 (Will add 2 cups of muriatic acid in the morning when the pump starts)
CH 850
TA 250 (I'm going to try the low PH/aeration method to lower TA over the next few weeks)
CYA 45

With a fill CH of 500 you will have some issues but you can manage.

1. Drain and refill 50% often. That alone should keep your CH down around 700 or so.

2. I know you don't get enough rain, but can you divert some rainwater from your gutters into your pool? It's a phenomenal help if you can make it happen

3. Keep your pH between 7.0 and 7.4. Your pool will tend to scale and low pH will help some. This will take a TON of acid but it will bring both your pH and TA down to more reasonable levels

All those ideas were pretty cheap. If you REALLY want to reduce your CH (I would strongly consider doing this) go ahead and get a whole house water softener.

That will remove the calcium deposits from you appliances, silverware, etc and then run your fill water through it as well. That will solve your issue and give you the benefit of nice water for your domestic use.......it won't be cheap :(

@AZAA
The CH in tap water right down the road in Chandler is 250ppm. I can't imagine that our municipal water is that much different. Unless you're on well water, then maybe. Well water around here is really high in mineral content I know.
If your on muni water and not well water, I might try a retest for sure. Or maybe even contact your water company about it and see what they say. I know we have some serious hard water but that seems awful high to me.
r.

With a fill CH of 500 you will have some issues but you can manage.

1. Drain and refill 50% often. That alone should keep your CH down around 700 or so.

2. I know you don't get enough rain, but can you divert some rainwater from your gutters into your pool? It's a phenomenal help if you can make it happen

3. Keep your pH between 7.0 and 7.4. Your pool will tend to scale and low pH will help some. This will take a TON of acid but it will bring both your pH and TA down to more reasonable levels

All those ideas were pretty cheap. If you REALLY want to reduce your CH (I would strongly consider doing this) go ahead and get a whole house water softener.

That will remove the calcium deposits from you appliances, silverware, etc and then run your fill water through it as well. That will solve your issue and give you the benefit of nice water for your domestic use.......it won't be cheap :(
Most of us here have a whole house water softener system but my pool water is independent from that. I'm having a SWG installed soon. Will that change things?

@AZAA
The CH in tap water right down the road in Chandler is 250ppm. I can't imagine that our municipal water is that much different. Unless you're on well water, then maybe. Well water around here is really high in mineral content I know.
If your on muni water and not well water, I might try a retest for sure. Or maybe even contact your water company about it and see what they say. I know we have some serious hard water but that seems awful high to me.
r.
It surprised me! I'll check with neighbors with pools and local "pool boys". Thanks

The SWCG won't have an effect but a softener sure would. As I said, Chandler water is 250. After my softener, it's 25....
I always fought CH until I put the pool refill on the house line and used softened water for pool refill.
At that time, my CH was around 600 and climbing. I used to be one of those that would always have to perform partial drains to attempt to manage CH. It's the way here for desert pools if one cares about CH.
My CH lives between 400 and 450 now with the softener after about a year and a half of being on softened water and the only drains I have done is through backwashes... Makes a big diff when you are using water with a CH of 25. However, make sure you use a 3-way valve when you plumb the refill so you can put regular muni water in there too if CH starts to get too low.
r.

Ya know, this soft water thing is new to me too. I'm from Oregon and have never had a water softener in my life. I'm learning how to run that Dang thing too! I'll check into re-plumbing but it sounds expensive both to tap into house water AND to use house softened water. Thanks for the tips. (Love it here in the Valley of the Sun)

Reactions: MyAZPool
Ya know, this soft water thing is new to me too. I'm from Oregon and have never had a water softener in my life. I'm learning how to run that Dang thing too! I'll check into re-plumbing but it sounds expensive both to tap into house water AND to use house softened water. Thanks for the tips. (Love it here in the Valley of the Sun)
@AZAA
I gotcha... I'm not a "Zoni" either, so I found moving and living here presented challenges that were new to me. Shouldn't be that expensive for a replumb to the soft water line I wouldn't think (depending on your particular situation). Heck, I did my own and it wasn't that hard.
These threads address my prior CH issue, evaporation issues in the desert and plumbing to the house softened water line. Maybe they will help with an idea or two.

"But it's a dry heat" Yea right.... :p
Welcome to the desert and take care...
r.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One more question :roll:. I'm thinking of adding a SWG to my pool. I've received 2 bids for the work. Should I wait until I get my CH and TA under control (assuming I can) or can I work on that after connecting the SWG. Thank you.

The concern is that with a a CSI exceeding 1.1 (based on your test results above) you will almost certainly have scale build up on the cell quickly. You would need to remove the scale from the cell to make it work properly which depending how you clean it, could shorten the life of the cell and be a nuisance. Outside of draining and refilling you could add acid to bring your PH down to 7.2 which would put your CSI just slightly positive. With such a high TA the PH will most likely elevate quickly and you will be using a lot of acid to keep your CSI in line. You could also lower your TA by adding acid and aerating until the TA is in an acceptable range.(depending on your fill water TA this may be a losing battle as well).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.