BkdGrain

Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2021
DFW, Texas
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I switched from Century single speed 1.5HP motor to Century VGreen 165 VS motor, this motor has whine which gets louder with RPM increase, it's louder than single speed at similar RPM. Once you hear the whine that's all you hear, it can be heard from far (50ft even over the waterfall) at any RPM over 2500.

Can anybody who has VGreen 165 motor confirm how loud their motor is?, does mine sound defective?

@cowboycasey

Whine can be heard clearly towards the last few seconds in the video

Last edited:
I think mine sounds exactly the same but I am not sure.. It sure sounds like the cooling fan is doing its job keeping the motor cool.. I never run mine that high, no reason for it.. A VS motor is designed to run as low as possible.. the highest I run mine is 1900 for my SWG and really that is more than I need but it skims a little better up that high..

Is there a reason your running it that high?

I think mine sounds exactly the same but I am not sure.. It sure sounds like the cooling fan is doing its job keeping the motor cool.. I never run mine that high, no reason for it.. A VS motor is designed to run as low as possible.. the highest I run mine is 1900 for my SWG and really that is more than I need but it skims a little better up that high..

Is there a reason your running it that high?

I am running 2850 - 2 hours, 2100 - 2 hours, 1350 - 6 hours, these settings are few hundred RPM less than default settings that it came with, my previous SS motor was running 3450 RPM for 5 hours. I thought my lowered settings are conservative enough.

I find it hard to believe that the previous SS motor at 3450RPM is quieter than the VGreen 165 at 2850RPM. Even at 2100 RPM the whine is audible in the pool over the waterfall.

the fan keeping the DC motor cool is a major fan... unless it is the waterfall you really do not need to go over 1000 to 1200 rpm.. Are you hearing it at 1350 rpm? I can barely hear mine at 1900 rpm... there is not a whine to it... I wonder if it is a frequency that you easily notice....

I wonder if it could be the seal? Did you use a salt or SCS seal?

the fan keeping the DC motor cool is a major fan... unless it is the waterfall you really do not need to go over 1000 to 1200 rpm.. Are you hearing it at 1350 rpm? I can barely hear mine at 1900 rpm... there is not a whine to it... I wonder if it is a frequency that you easily notice....

I wonder if it could be the seal? Did you use a salt or SCS seal?

I used "GO-KIT-5" seal for non-salt water pools. I don't hear it at 1350, the whine/hum starts becoming audible at around 2000 RPM. The waterfall isn't effective at anything less than 1850RPM. I wish the fan only turned on based off of thermal switch.

I just wanted to make sure the motor itself isn't defective.

that fan is directly connected and runs at 600 rpm.. at 3400 it sounds like a jet taking off :)

I have this cover over mine, I bet it would cut down on some of the noise you are hearing and keep the motor cool and keep the rain off it.. :)

that fan is directly connected and runs at 600 rpm.. at 3400 it sounds like a jet taking off :)

I have this cover over mine, I bet it would cut down on some of the noise you are hearing and keep the motor cool and keep the rain off it.. :)

Thanks, I will try that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.