CC starting to creep up, what to do?

klroahs

Jun 7, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Hello again all :).

I have been struggling to get my Cl to stay balanced with my SWG, I have added enough stabilizer to get it to ~70, although I have not seen this reflected on my TF100 test, (that I am hoping I am reading correctly).

My Cl continues to drop, and I seem to have the need to keep adding bleach every week or so, which my friends who have salt pools have never done. Over the last couple of days, I have seen my Cl to start to stay at about 2.0 (lower than the site's recommendation but I am just glad to see it stabalize), in the meantime, I have seen my CC start to rise from 0 to .5.

On one of the pages here, it seemed to indicate that the CC will rise when the FC is breaking something down. I am wondering if I should just punt and shock with liquid bleach to the shock level of the Chlorine chart on this site.

Does this sound like a good plan? Is there any risk of dumping a lot of Cl into the pool for swimmers, balance etc?

Thanks
Louis

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
Post a full set of test results. Also post your equipment specs too.

What percentage/length of time are you running the SWCG?

Sounds like you have the beginnings of an algae bloom and the SWCG & bleach additions have just kept up with it. It certainly won't hurt to shock your pool.

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
if you are going to shock, check with the experts here if you need to turn off the swg first. do leave the pump running when shocking though.

klroahs

Jun 7, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Bama Rambler said:
Post a full set of test results. Also post your equipment specs too.

What percentage/length of time are you running the SWCG?

Sounds like you have the beginnings of an algae bloom and the SWCG & bleach additions have just kept up with it. It certainly won't hurt to shock your pool.
2.5 FC
.5 CC
80 TA
pH 7.6
~40 CYA (but I have added 7 lbs of CYA in the last week, it has all dissolved in the socks, but still only shows about 50 when it should be closer to 60-70)
Ca Hardness 230

30,000 Gallons Pebble-Sheen pool

I have slowly been increasing my SWG up to its current value of 70%, which I run for 12 hours a day. I started at 50%.

The last overnight FC test I ran (with generator off first reading in the dark, morning reading had some sunlight, but not direct) showed a .5 drop in FC using the TF100 drop test.

Later in the week, I used the "shock" value on my SWG (it runs at 100% for 24 hours), and made sure it stayed on for the 24 hours. Before I did this, I checked the FC which was 3.0, the next morning (~ 8 hours later) it was 3.5, 24 hours later, it was back to 3.0 (there was swimming for about 4 hours that day with 2 adults and 5 or 6 children 90+ degrees and sun all day).

The water has never looked cloudy but I only have about a month for a frame of reference :).