Jacksonville, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
After cleaning Hayward DE 4820 filter, I overtightened the drain plug and the plug split on the sides.
full

Closer inspection and you can see the sides got warped. Got it replaced from Amazon, one day delivery
Hayward SP1022C Receptacles Vacuum Fittings for Concrete Pools with O-Ring for $3.99
For this price perhaps I will keep a spare. Hope this helps:cheers:

full

Better the plug sacrifice itself then ruin the threads on the housing.

Brent,

I suggest that you do not use a 12 foot long wrench the next time you tighten it... :mrgreen:

Thanks for the warning..

Are you using the new "tire like" O-Ring between the top and bottom half of the filter?? So much better than the old one.. No lube needed..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Brent,

I suggest that you do not use a 12 foot long wrench the next time you tighten it... :mrgreen:

Thanks for the warning..

Are you using the new "tire like" O-Ring between the top and bottom half of the filter?? So much better than the old one.. No lube needed..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hey JIM I am not sure what seal you are referring to. The seal I am using I still put lube on. It is a fairly thick seal. I also have a new seal with a metal strip in it. Perhaps you are referring to this one. image.jpg

Yes, the new seal with metal in it does not get any lube, but works so much easier.. P/N DEX2422Z2..

Jim R.
Thanks for the info, perhaps I will use that next time I break down the filter however it may be 3 years before I do so. The last time I cleaned my filter was 3 years ago. Thanks to TFP and a birdcage :cheers:

I have found that you don't really need to crank down on the wrench when tightening the plug. Also, having my plug in back of the filter makes it much harder to access and I certainly don't like standing there too long tightening or trying to loosen. Anyone remember the "Twister" game ?

Also, having my plug in the back against the wall is certainly hard to access, but it keeps the Suns UV off so it doesn't degrade the materials as quickly. I actually keep a small towel over the top of my gauge and shut off valve to keep the sun from frying it / it doesn't take long to weaken those plastic/fiber glass materials.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.