Cause of suction loss and return bubbles?? Help :(

Hbrod

Apr 16, 2021
Nc
Hi. Newbie here. Pool company came for service and after the pool company kid left, we had visible air in the pump, loss of suction in 1 of 2 skimmers (no clog) and continuous bubbles out of the same side return jet. We looked around..no visible leaks and everything seems in order. It was a new system that was working great for 2 months.

Any idea where to look for issues?
This pool company is fired. They left and this was obviously happening.

Last edited:
H,

It would help if we knew more about your pool...

What kind of pump? Single speed, 2-speed or VS?
What kind of filter?
etc..

Pics of your equipment pad would be great..

Any idea what the pool kid did or normally does?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jandy e stealth pump 2.7 variable speed. I'm going to check the impeller...cartridge filter. PSI good and cleaned 1 mo ago. Pool kid adjusted the position of the jets and cleaned the baskets but that is about it other than some acid. I definitely had nothing clog the skimmer from my doing...no kids...nothing weird going down the lines.

H,

Just some general thoughts...

VS pumps running at low RPMs will often have bubblers under the pump lid.
SWCG's often generate small Champaign-like bubbles, that are more noticeable at low RPMs.
If the near skimmer has good suction, and the skimmer farthest away, has poor suction that also is most noticeable at low RPMs.

So, maybe the kid turned the pump speed way down ???

What makes you sure that one skimmer is not working? Have you taken the basket out and felt the suction right at the open pipe in the bottom of the skimmer?

I am just trying to think of something that would naturally occur and not something that has failed.

Does each of your skimmers have their own valve at the equipment pad?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim. Well, I'm embarrassed to say it was a slightly twisted o ring. That fixed it. I really hate relying on a pool company but am not brave enough yet. There is no excuse for a tech to leave without taking the extra 2 minutes to make sure everything is running right. It would have been immediately apparent to him. Thanks to all for the advice :)

Reactions: Jimrahbe
H,

If you have a SWCG, it really makes the most sense to take care of your own pool.. Honest, if I can do it, anyone can do it.

Plus.. who's going to take better care of the pool, you or some kid???

We'd be glad to get you pointed in the right direction, just let us know.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Hbrod

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.