Cause of chlorine loss

May 15, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
OK, the temps have been in the high 80's-low 90's, humid, sunny. Had a higher than normal bather load over the holiday weekend but normal since then (with the possibility a little kid peed in it). Before, I was losing 0 to maybe 1ppm chlorine. Now I am losing about 1-2 during the day (I add more chlorine) and 2ppm overnight. Is it the weather, the possibility a kid peed in the pool over the weekend or what?

As of this am:
Cl 3 (I usually target 5-6)
pH 7.5
TA 120 (still in the process of bringing it down)
CYA 40
Clarity: Clear but not as sparkly as when the weather was cooler
Pool temp: VERY warm, almost lukewarm

I am using the HtH 6 way kit this year. (next year I will use the TF100)

If you think you are losing 2ppm overnight, you need to perform an overnight FC loss test to confirm that.

If you are losing more than .5ppm at night, you have organics in the pool and need to shock. Directions for the overnight FC loss test and How to Shock your Pool are both up in Pool School.

My advice is to get out in front of this quickly by shocking to completion (less than 1 FC loss overnight; less than .5 CC; AND clear sparkly water). Even if you can't test for CC, you can apparently do the overnight loss test and tell feel (non-slippery/slick vinyl) and look of the water. Then you could target an FC or so higher for a time as insurance. Especially with an Intex, it is important to prevent algae from getting any foothold since clearing it is so difficult with the ltitle filters.

Yeah, I figured I would just go ahead and shock it before I go away and leave it in my husband's hands (scarey). Went to the pool store for the first time just to see what readings I would get compared to mine.

Everything was the same as my reading except for the CYA. Mine is 40 and they got 60. Makes a difference if I am going to shock. What do you think? They used strips that went into this scanner-like thingy. Go with the higher CYA or the lower?

Always trust your own results. If you are comfortable with the testing procedure you used and the test itself, go with your number. If not split the difference and go with 50ppm.....that'll work just fine.

Can high phosphates can fc level to be 0? Unfortunately can not get a fc reading on my taylor k. Have a tc reading. 25,000 fiberglass. All other level are o.k. Was told high levels of phosphates are "eating" up the chol. Seems strange to me. Any opinions?

Robinixie,
Phosphates don't do that; it's just a line to hopefully sell you some overpriced, unnecessary phosphate remover. If your kit is showing TC but no FC, all your chlorine is present as CC and you should definitely shock that pool!

If you start your own thread, more people will see it and offer their help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To start a new thread, go to board index. Then click on the subforum that your question pertains to. Once you do that you'll see a blue box that says "new topic." Click that. Type in your subject and your question.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.