Cartridge filter with Jumbo Chlorine tabs?

dschddny

Jun 18, 2019
New York
I've been having a problem with my cartridge filter where I get a new cartridge, works great for a week or so, but then even after thoroughly washing the cartridge I barely get a trickle out of the water jets, even though water appears to be flowing well through the pump. If I remove the cartridge from the filter the water shoots out of the jets VERY STRONG. So clearly something is wrong with the cartridge. I've replaced the cartridge a few times but clearly this is not economical or viable to keep doing every week or 2.

Someone mentioned something about jumbo chlorine tabs possibly ruining my cartridge. Might that be the case?

If not, any other ideas?

Thanks in advance!!!!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!

What does your water look like? It sounds like your filter is doing its job in capturing debris from the pool water
Thanks! We hadn't opened the pool the last 2 years so the pool was of course a big mess when we opened it. Dark green water and a ton of debris in the bottom. I've vacuumed out a lot of the debris but still more, and the water is still green but not as dark.

The 2 problems I've been having clearing it up are that I haven't gotten the filter to run consistently for more than a day or so and then with not being able to see the debris I can't really vaccuum so effectively. I absolutely must get the filter running well to get it right.

Also, checked the PH this morning and it's very low. Maybe another factor adversely affecting the cartridge?

Firstly, I will throw in my Welcome to TFP!

What kind of chemicals have you used so far this season trying to clear up the pool? There's a few that are commonly recommended by pool stores to fix green pools that can damage filters, so if you could tell us everything you added to the pool we can help determine if it could be a problem. It definitely isn't related to your pH, unfortunately.

At this point it might be best to just take the filter out so you can keep the water circulating and get chlorine killing the algae. It's in there growing and killing it will at least slow/stop that and then you can get it filtered out. For that we have a process called SLAM Process that you may want to look in to.

Reactions: dschddny
I've mainly used 4 chemicals - jumbo chlorine tabs, bleach, baking soda and black algaecide.

Interesting suggestion to remove the cartridge and just run the filter to kill the algae! My understanding was always that the cartridge was completely necessary, but it makes sense that killing the algae can be accomplished just via the chemicals and good water circulation.

Do you have a picture of the system?

Are you sure that the filter is plumbed correctly with the pump going into the Inlet?

How many square feet is the cartridge?
Hi! Don't have a picture of the system, but I'd say I'm sure that it's all set up correctly as it runs GREAT when I remove the cartridge. Also runs great with a brand new cartridge. So it's something about the cartridge "going bad" after several uses.

What does "square feet of the cartridge" mean? Thanks!!

How big is the filter?
Add your pool and equipment details to your signature.

What test kit are you using?
You need to follow the SLAM Process process to kill all the algae ... and then start to filter it out if you are not around to keep cleaning the filter (which is working by design)

Don't be so sure that it's plumbed correctly without checking it. The line from the pump should go into the filter "Inlet".

The cartridge size is given in square feet. It should be on the label.

From all the input here I think my plan will be to do the following:

Remove the cartridge and run the filter without it, with good water circulation.
Basically follow the SLAM process
- I'll add bleach appropriately to get the FC level high.
- Will also check the Total Alkalinity level and add more baking soda if the level is not high enough.
- Add PH Plus to get my very low PH level up to 7.2-7.6.
At the same will continue removing as much debris as possible - either by manually scooping from the bottom or by vaccuuming.

Will do this for a few days, and then put in my new cartridge. My only concern is that the cartridge will then "die" quickly again. Not sure if I should use my jumbo chlorine tabs if they might adversely affect the cartridge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Possible your not getting the filter cleaned out good enough. How are you cleaning it?
I have a couple of different attachments that I hook up to my garden hose - one has a brush attachment and the other spreads out the water in a strong jet. I go up and down and around the cartridge several times. I used to do it quickly just for a couple of minutes, now I spend more time than that, cleaning it for 10 or 15 minutes.

Last night for the first time I tried soaking it in a filter cleaning solution that I had purchased, soaked it overnight. Will try the cartridge tonight after soaking for 24 hours...

Last edited:
I know it's not suggested but I bought a small electric pressure washer that has a wide fan tip and use it about every 3rd time..It gets a lot more junk out then the hose. Just have to make sure to spray down and not too strong.

The fact that your pool is a mess and your filter keeps clogging up rapidly ("dies" quickly) suggests that there an overload of algae and other junk "killing" the filter cartridge. I'd be more aggressive cleaning the cartridge and see if that helps with the initial (clean) filter pressure. While you're doing that, SLAM the pool and check the Cl daily. When all of the algae is dead (overnight Cl loss is minimal) and has fallen to the bottom of the pool, vacuum it up and out (vacuum to waste) - that should save your filters from cloggin up so quickly.

Reactions: dschddny
The fact that your pool is a mess and your filter keeps clogging up rapidly ("dies" quickly) suggests that there an overload of algae and other junk "killing" the filter cartridge. I'd be more aggressive cleaning the cartridge and see if that helps with the initial (clean) filter pressure. While you're doing that, SLAM the pool and check the Cl daily. When all of the algae is dead (overnight Cl loss is minimal) and has fallen to the bottom of the pool, vacuum it up and out (vacuum to waste) - that should save your filters from cloggin up so quickly.
Yes well said! And pretty much the plan I'm following now (as of yesterday) thanks to all of the advice I've received on here so far.

The challenge will be the vaccuuming the dead algae - I need my cartridge to "stay alive" long enough to vaccuum it up

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.