Cartridge Filter Pressure

mjbarr99

Silver Supporter
Mar 20, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
I have a Jandy CL580 cartridge filter that gives me different readings depending on the RPM of my pump. When I'm filtering the water at 1500 RPM, the reading is 0 psi. When I run my cleaner at 3200 RPM, my reading is 12 psi. I get a 4 psi reading at 2200 RPM but any speed lower than that gives me a 0 psi reading. Is this normal or do I have a gauge that is going out?

mj,

In the perfect world you would want your filter pressure to be zero. This is because the pressure you see on the gage is really the amount of force it takes to push water through your filter. When you look at it this way, it makes sense that when the pump is running at a low rpm, it takes little effort to push water through your filter, but when you increase the pumps speed you are trying to force more water through the same filter, so this requires more force or pressure.

What you are seeing is exactly how your filter and gage should work.

I would recommend that you pick a mid range RPM, such as 2,000 or 2,500 and use that pressure as your guide as to when to clean your filter. Compare the pressure when clean vs. the pressure when dirty. When that pressure goes up 25% to 30% then it is time to clean the cartridges.

Since I run my pump at 1,200 RPM, most of the time, I just clean my filter twice a year. I'm sure I could go a whole year, but then I would feel too guilty... :p

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.