Cartridge Filter - Haven't cleaned yet

Apr 30, 2010
I am about 2 months into a new pool. Have yet to clean my cartridge filter. Pressure is maybe up only 2 psi since my starting value. I was told I would need to do this monthly. With all the dust from the new plaster, I figured initially it would be much more. I haven't opened it up to look at the cartridges yet but should I?

I wonder if the starting pressure was not immediately high due to dust at that time. You may find that starting pressure is much lower if you clean it now.

So, I'd vote for opening it up and cleaning it. Search this forum for the info on how to clean the filter, and look for the photo of that brass nozzle that works so well with a normal hose. When we clean the cartridge filter, it takes two of us, we also wash the o-ring of any grit, clean the track it sits in, the grease the o-ring with silicone lube from the pool store. When you start to tighten the belly strap, it helps to gently tap it with a rubber mallet to get it to adjust.

My cartridge filter is also a couple of months old and I have not cleaned it. I don't know what the starting psi level was but now it is 20 psi with the pump running 3000 rpm. Does that sound reasonable? I just started charting it today.

wahoowa said:
I am about 2 months into a new pool. Have yet to clean my cartridge filter. Pressure is maybe up only 2 psi since my starting value. I was told I would need to do this monthly. With all the dust from the new plaster, I figured initially it would be much more. I haven't opened it up to look at the cartridges yet but should I?

Which filter do you have? If it is a 420 or larger, you may not need to clean anything yet. Big cartridge filters can go awhile before needing cleaning.

macgas, I would say when in doubt, clean it. That way you'll know for sure. I think 20 sounds about right for your system (mine runs about 20 when clean with the in-floor heads going), but there's only one way to be sure........

Big cartridges can go a long time without cleaning... what model is your filter?

However, on most size carts you won't see an increase on your gauge at all indicating dirty or not. I've never seen a change on my gauge indicating it was filthy even though it was.

I would go ahead and clean it, if its been that long and you have seen a rise and it's a new pool with plaster dust.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.