Care of New Plaster

vnkt0207

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 17, 2014
Eastern Shore, MD
Hello All. In the midst of a complete pool renovation - coping, tile and plaster in addition to all new equipment. Plaster to be applied this week.
Does anyone have, or is there a link to, general do's and dont's for new plaster. I know some of them, and I am sure the pool construction will provide guidance, but I am suspecting it won't be complete.

Known for New Plaster:
Add sequester agent as directed.
Run pump 24 hrs/day for first 1-2 weeks.
No chlorine for 72 hours.
No salt added or use of salt cell for 30 days.
No pool cleaner/ for 30 days.
Check & adjust TA and pH immediately and daily.
Brush pool 2-3 times a day for first two weeks.

Questions:
When can pool first be used?
When can heater be used?
When can/should CYA be added?
How oftern and when to check/adust for CH?
Is there a specific range for CH while curing for first 30 days?

I figure I am not the first with these questions which would be the same for a new installation.
Thank you.
-Kirk

What finish are you getting? General plaster startup guide at --> https://www.nptpool.com/pdf/npc_swimmingpoolstart-upprocedures.pdf

No chlorine for 72 48 hours.

When can pool first be used? I would wait 48 hours until you have CL in the pool
When can heater be used? Some say after 2 weeks, others after 4 weeks. I would give it 4 weeks and DO NOT turn on pool heater until there is no plaster dust in the pool.
When can/should CYA be added? After the 4th day.
How oftern and when to check/adust for CH? Once you have CH to the level you want it will not change unless you add water or drain water from the pool. Every 2 weeks to monthly should be fine.
Is there a specific range for CH while curing for first 30 days? 150-300. More important is CSI which CH affects. Keep the CSI as calculated by PoolMath between 0 and +0.5 for the first 28 days. See The CSI is Reliable for Plaster-based Pools

Read Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. No specific plaster finish specified.
From the guidlelines you provided, TA and pH should be checked the following day after fill and I understand they will change drastically by the day. But there is no reason not to shoot for about 250 CH immediately (same day as fill)?

Yes, thank you, I didn't see that about CH. Pool plaster just a few hours old and now fully filled.
Initial readings of the fill water:

ph = 8.0+ (very pink/red off scale)
TA = 140
CH = 60
CYA = 0 (new plaster)
FC = 0 (new plaster)

Is it worth trying to adjust TA and pH tonight?

I was checking my ph 3 times a day for the first week or 2. They didn’t do an acid startup for my plaster and when they washed my plaster before we filled it was a very very weak mix so my ph was high and kept raising quicker for weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.