Care of New Plaster

vnkt0207

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 17, 2014
Eastern Shore, MD
Hello All. In the midst of a complete pool renovation - coping, tile and plaster in addition to all new equipment. Plaster to be applied this week.
Does anyone have, or is there a link to, general do's and dont's for new plaster. I know some of them, and I am sure the pool construction will provide guidance, but I am suspecting it won't be complete.

Known for New Plaster:
Add sequester agent as directed.
Run pump 24 hrs/day for first 1-2 weeks.
No chlorine for 72 hours.
No salt added or use of salt cell for 30 days.
No pool cleaner/ for 30 days.
Check & adjust TA and pH immediately and daily.
Brush pool 2-3 times a day for first two weeks.

Questions:
When can pool first be used?
When can heater be used?
When can/should CYA be added?
How oftern and when to check/adust for CH?
Is there a specific range for CH while curing for first 30 days?

I figure I am not the first with these questions which would be the same for a new installation.
Thank you.
-Kirk

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
What finish are you getting? General plaster startup guide at --> https://www.nptpool.com/pdf/npc_swimmingpoolstart-upprocedures.pdf

No chlorine for 72 48 hours.

When can pool first be used? I would wait 48 hours until you have CL in the pool
When can heater be used? Some say after 2 weeks, others after 4 weeks. I would give it 4 weeks and DO NOT turn on pool heater until there is no plaster dust in the pool.
When can/should CYA be added? After the 4th day.
How oftern and when to check/adust for CH? Once you have CH to the level you want it will not change unless you add water or drain water from the pool. Every 2 weeks to monthly should be fine.
Is there a specific range for CH while curing for first 30 days? 150-300. More important is CSI which CH affects. Keep the CSI as calculated by PoolMath between 0 and +0.5 for the first 28 days. See The CSI is Reliable for Plaster-based Pools

Read Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster

Last edited:

vnkt0207

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 17, 2014
Eastern Shore, MD
Thanks for the information. No specific plaster finish specified.
From the guidlelines you provided, TA and pH should be checked the following day after fill and I understand they will change drastically by the day. But there is no reason not to shoot for about 250 CH immediately (same day as fill)?

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
But there is no reason not to shoot for about 250 CH immediately (same day as fill)?
See Step 3 of the 4th to 28th day. Add CH slowly after the 4th day.

vnkt0207

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 17, 2014
Eastern Shore, MD
Yes, thank you, I didn't see that about CH. Pool plaster just a few hours old and now fully filled.
Initial readings of the fill water:

ph = 8.0+ (very pink/red off scale)
TA = 140
CH = 60
CYA = 0 (new plaster)
FC = 0 (new plaster)

Is it worth trying to adjust TA and pH tonight?

Rocket J Squirrel

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 7, 2018
Alamo, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
ph = 8.0+ (very pink/red off scale)
TA = 140

Is it worth trying to adjust TA and pH tonight?
Yes on the pH. Get it down. The fresh plaster will raise it every day. TA will drop some, too, but the pH is important at startup.

jimim

Bronze Supporter
Jun 20, 2016
NE/Pa
I was checking my ph 3 times a day for the first week or 2. They didn’t do an acid startup for my plaster and when they washed my plaster before we filled it was a very very weak mix so my ph was high and kept raising quicker for weeks.