TroubleFreePat

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
On my original cell since pool was installed. Seems to be running fine, though I do need to increase run time % a little each year. This year I'm definitely running a higher run time %.

I cleaned the cell several years ago (Once) and not since. I understand cleaning the cell shortens its life, and should only be done if you see scaling. So I inspected my cell today (Light has been on reminding me) and I simply can't tell/see if there's scaling with the plastic covers over the grids. Even with a good flashlight I really can't see anything. How am I supposed to tell? Or would I see scaling even on the plastic?

Attachments

• 2020-07-02 13.03.49.jpg
    2020-07-02 13.03.49.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 24
Use white cleaning vinegar. Plug up one end, pour in the vinegar and let it stand for a minute. If there is any calcium scale, it will fizz. If you don’t see any fizzing or bubbles, the blades are clean and you can dump the vinegar. Rinse it with water and reinstall it.

No, vinegar is fine. It’s a 6% solution if acetic acid and water. That should be more than enough to dissolve any calcium scale. Just leave it until the fizzing stops. Using a mineral acid like muriatic acid is not a good idea. It’s too corrosive and will definitely damage the plate coating. Acetic acid is milder and less corrosive.

Reactions: Msch99
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.