Northville, Mi
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have a 10 year old Dolphin Supreme M4 that seems to work fine and picks up a bunch of stuff when it runs. However, after the water settles, I end up with the dirt collection in the seams and creases as you can see below . I even took my pool blaster vacuum (lower left) with the fine bag in it and went over it all by hand and even though it picked up a bunch, I have the same problem still. This seems to be a relatively new problem in my pool (last 2 or 3 years) and I can't figure out if it's the cleaner or maybe some other issue. And, if it's another issue, what would that issue be? And how do I get this dirt out?

20210520_070753.jpg

I know you have a TF test kit and your signature says the chemistry is perfect, but, that presentation of material implies algae.

I've had this for a while, even last year. Chlorine stays stable with the ic40 set relatively low. I honestly don't think it's algae or it would be out of control by now, wouldn't it?

Not necessarily. Your SWCG could be set just right to keep it sort of at bay.

Collect some of the debris somehow. What does it feel like? If gritty, it is dirt, if mushy, it is algae. If it poofs away when you brush, it is dead algae.

Reactions: abfabsabs
It's not mushy. Based on what you just said and some other reading I was just doing, I'd say it was dead algae. Pool was pretty green at open this year and I slammed the Crud out of it. Opened my filter once the water was clear and put new cartridges in and drained the water in it because it was just dirty and gross (dead algae?). So, if I assume that's what it is, how do I get rid of it?

Not if you have debris left in the pool. The first criteria for a successful SLAM is crystal clear water. If you have debris collecting on the floor of the pool, you do not have crystal clear water.

Here's the original of that picture above, which is taken from 15 feet away. Notice you can zoom in and clearly count and see the holes on the main drains which are under 6 feet of water. Trust me - the water is crystal clear. There is no cloudiness, no occlusion. I am OCD about my water clarity.
Original pic

Your call. What you are presenting and saying about the debris is typically caused by algae. If you do not want to complete a SLAM to a proper end, that is your decision. Keep vacuuming it up. If it is not recurring dead algae, you will be able to vacuum it up and it will not reappear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To a proper end? This isn't my first rodeo. I've been managing my water and following these methods for 9 years (1st year was pool company lesson). I *did* follow it to the end. OCLT of 1, cc of 0.5, and that was with chlorine at 22ppm and no cya. The water could not possibly be more clear - did you look at the picture? Mind you, I'm not getting new stuff in the pool - it's the same stuff. You disturb the water and it dissipates but just settles back down shortly afterward. It's not continuous new.

Hey Don !!!

I’m with Marty. If you had a sand/DE filter there would be a possible blowback of dust/dirt from it.

If it was truely old stuff it would be gone by the second or third vac because like you said, some gets stirred up no matter what you do.

try this. Take several attempts at brushing it to one spot. Go gentle and you’ll get most of what’s there. Come back in 15 minutes and do it again. Repeat until it’s all in one general area and go very gentle with the vac to get it out. But you do eventually get it out if its truely old stuff.

if it returns after that, it’s new.

Algae can sit on the theshold of being visible. Especially with your SWG and attention to chemistry you could dance that fine line for months. We have this battle over and over with new folks. The water is clear except for the dirt/dust. It simply must be the filter or the run time not filtering enough. 98% of these are just being held at the beginnings of an explosion.

It can happen to the best of us. You didn’t do anything wrong, or let something slide. Algae can be hiding in plane sight, From inside ladder rails to water features to light niches, etc. the rest of the water is clear and with your proper attention to chemistry, You keep it at bay. But it’s still there and it keeps piling up.

You have the leg up here with plenty of red flags before it’s a nightmare. Listen to your pool. :)

Reactions: abfabsabs
It can't be brushed to one spot though. It's that fine. I'm going to try to use the pool blaster with some extra help for the filter inside it and hover over it vs vacuum it. It just gets stirred up and settles back down shortly afterward otherwise. I would be more on board with the algae thought process if I kept getting more and more or if I hadn't cranked the chlorine so high and gone through the SLAM process. With no cya in the pool and going all the way up to 22, there was plenty in there to kill stuff, especially after the OCLT passed. I mean honestly, it just doesn't make sense to me. And I have walked the line with the swg before too, so I know and have lived that scenario. This stuff is like catching a ghost though.

It can't be brushed to one spot though. It's that fine
Trust me, I had crazy pollen which was just as poof-y. As soon as the brush get moving it will stir up a cloud but take a good amount of that cloud with it. And the leftover cloud will drift that way a little afterwards also. Then it settles and the second try gets some more. it will take 3 or 4 tries but it only takes a few minutes to brush the whole pool so it’s not bad.

You’ll get a feel with the cloud for how fast is too fast. If you push just right most of the cloud will stay with the brush and you’ll get more of it. Stop brushing a few feet short of the target and it will continue and settle there.

Once it’s mostly in one spot, just go real easy with the vacuum and it will come right out. Normally I’d let it sit in the filter knowing it was just dust/pollen but because it’s a concern here I would clean the filter after just to be sure.

keep us posted !!

Trust me, I had crazy pollen which was just as poof-y. As soon as the brush get moving it will stir up a cloud but take a good amount of that cloud with it. And the leftover cloud will drift that way a little afterwards also. Then it settles and the second try gets some more. it will take 3 or 4 tries but it only takes a few minutes to brush the whole pool so it’s not bad.

You’ll get a feel with the cloud for how fast is too fast. If you push just right most of the cloud will stay with the brush and you’ll get more of it. Stop brushing a few feet short of the target and it will continue and settle there.

Once it’s mostly in one spot, just go real easy with the vacuum and it will come right out. Normally I’d let it sit in the filter knowing it was just dust/pollen but because it’s a concern here I would clean the filter after just to be sure.

keep us posted !!
It's interesting you mention this - this was an INSANE year for pollen here!! When we opened the pool there was a ton of it floating and it's all over everything outside. Our furniture almost looks like someone spray painted pollen on it! It's never been remotely like this before.

It's interesting you mention this - this was an INSANE year for pollen here
Being up north and late to the party, it’s entirely possible to just be boatloads of pollen.

The Overnight Chlorine Loss Test with a loss of one passes, but barely. It’s generally close enough but too close for my personal liking. There is some error in the test and it’s easy to have a few drops too may of the test sample, which will lower the result to the passing 1.

It could also just be a little loss from all the pollen instead of algae.

do another OCLT. Brush and vac out what you can. Clean the filter. Elevate the FC for a couple days by a few PPM just in case.

stay on top of it like you have been (GREAT job BTW) and we’ll know in a week or two once the pollen lets up. Keep us posted !!

Last edited:
Reactions: mickey4paws
Also, If it’s pollen, the only way to get it is by filtering. If it’s algae, you want it stirred up at all times.

run 24/7 for now either way. :)

do another OCLT. Brush and vac out what you can. Clean the filter. Elevate the FC for a couple days by a few PPM just in case.

stay on top of it like you have been (GREAT job BYW) and we’ll know in a week or two once the pollen lets up. Keep us posted !!
Brand new cartridges, right out of the plastic, in the filter after the water was clean and drained the filter itself. It's as clean as it gets. I left chlorine a little high anyway. We'll see how things go. I'm just glad I have knowledge I've gained from being on this site for 10 years instead of paying a local pool "expert" to do this!! And thanks for the encouragement. :)

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.