Can't prime pump after hard freeze

Nov 3, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
I'm trying to take care of a pool while friends are away for Christmas.

The other day, his freeze protection failed and he had frozen pipes on the output side of the pump especially around the multiport valve. We let things thaw out and I am pretty sure nothing is still frozen. Went over today to restart the pool and I was unable to prime the pump. His pool equipment is probably 6' above the pool level. When I got there today the pool level was below the skimmers so I added water.

1) With pump off, I tried adding water to the pump basket until in overflowed and then quickly put on the lid and started the pump....no dice

2) With pump on, I tried to run water from a hose and it would never fill the basket.

3) With pump on and hose running, I then added additional water from a bucket. I was able to fill the basket, but when I put the lid on, it would not prime.

Any ideas? He said it was normally hard to prime due to the height of the equipment.

Bill,

How nice to help your friends! Sounds like the pump just needs to draw water up from the pool. Try priming it a couple times just like you did above. You may have to run it a few minutes soon you'll see water trickle in and it will build to full flow. Keep track of the pump bowel temp by touching it. Don't let it get hot. Warm is OK. Another thing that may help is to lower the discharge resistance by opening the filter vent or drain valve. Send us a couple photos. It will help our experts to assist.

Merry Christmas!

Chris

Check that the weir door in the skimmer is moving freely.

What is the model number of the pump?

How much time are you giving the pump to prime and get water flowing?

Bill,

I don't think it has been near warm enough for ice inside the pipes or filter to thaw out yet. Todays was nice, but nowhere near what we need.

Keep in mind that it will freeze again tomorrow morning and then we should be getting out of the woods.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: borjis
Bill,

I don't think it has been near warm enough for ice inside the pipes or filter to thaw out yet. Todays was nice, but nowhere near what we need.

Keep in mind that it will freeze again tomorrow morning and then we should be getting out of the woods.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim,

In order to keep the post short, I failed to mention that we created a tent over the pool equipment and inserted a small portable space heater. I'm pretty sure everything was thawed out when I went over today, but anything is possible. Most of his suction side is below ground with only a foot or two exposed to the elements. I'll go back over today and give it another try. I appreciate your comment!

Check that the weir door in the skimmer is moving freely.

What is the model number of the pump?

How much time are you giving the pump to prime and get water flowing?
Hi,
I have check both skimmers, that is how I discovered the first problem of the water level in the pool was below the skimmers, and they are just fine. I'm not sure the pump model, but he has the typical one speed centurion motor powering it. I have given the pump up to 5 minutes to prime. Many times it sounds like it will prime but then does not.

Does your friend use skimmer socks? Any chance something got pulling into the skimmer line resulting in a partial clog? If that's not it, it sounds like there may still be a suction side air leak inhibiting a good suction and prime. In post #1 you mentioned trying to prime with the lid off and filling the pot and/or hoses, but it won't work that way. The lid must be on for a tight seal when you turn on the pump. So you fill the pot with water, replace the lid, and try the pump. Sometimes you have to do that multiple times, especially if your equipment pad is 6 ft above the waterline.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.