Can’t get water clear (Test results inside)

ja123

May 21, 2018
NJ
Checked filter seems to be in good working order. I’m guessing the CC is causing cloudiness? Going to try and SLAM tonight. Water is blue but very cloudy. Can someone tell me the right amount of chlorine to add? I am using a Taylor 2005 and Taylor fas -dpd

Attachments

• 8A119417-5030-4C2E-A525-067C72179391.jpeg
    8A119417-5030-4C2E-A525-067C72179391.jpeg
    252.7 KB · Views: 21
To me it looks like you are on track... but you are at the point of POP (Pool Owner Patience) being needed... keep your pump running and let you filter do its job.
Don't let your levels drop.

With low FC and cloudy water, I suggest you go to SLAM level FC.

My FC seems to stay at .5 for past 2 days even with slamming. I am currently using 10% bleach and have been using pool math recommendations. I am going on my third day now. Once my free chlorine levels stay at the recommended levels will the cloudy water clear? Or is something else causing it possibly?

My FC seems to stay at .5 for past 2 days even with slamming. I am currently using 10% bleach and have been using pool math recommendations. I am going on my third day now. Once my free chlorine levels stay at the recommended levels will the cloudy water clear? Or is something else causing it possibly?
In my experience, 28000 gallon pool, CYA 60, my SLAM levels were 22-24ppm, and kept there for about five days. I know it's frowned upon, but since I couldn't find a small amount of DE to add to aid my sand filter, I want ahead and used a Clorox brand clarifier, which cleared the cloudiness within 24 hours. I've let the chlorine back down to "normal" (for my CYA level) and haven't had any water clarity/algae issues since.

The M in SLAM is Maintain. So every couple hours, test your FC and add liquid chlorine to get back to your SLAM level FC.

It’s very weird because my chlorine goes as fast as I put it in. I think I may have ammonia in the water possibly but how do I know for sure? I have owned the pool for 2 years and never was able to keep my free chlorine at high levels

You show a CYA of 40. Did you very recently add that? Is your pool a green, smelly, swamp?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I saw the photo, but ammonia pools are green, smelly, swamps.

I do not think you have ammonia. But to test it, add 10 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine, circulate for 15 minutes, test your FC and CC. If FC is 5 or below and CC is over 1, then you most likely have some ammonia. Keep doing the 10 ppm, circulate 15 min, test, repeat until the FC holds above 5.

I saw the photo, but ammonia pools are green, smelly, swamps.

I do not think you have ammonia. But to test it, add 10 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine, circulate for 15 minutes, test your FC and CC. If FC is 5 or below and CC is over 1, then you most likely have some ammonia. Keep doing the 10 ppm, circulate 15 min, test, repeat until the FC holds above 5.

Ok. Once that process is complete do you still have to SLAM?

It’s very weird because my chlorine goes as fast as I put it in. I think I may have ammonia in the water possibly but how do I know for sure? I have owned the pool for 2 years and never was able to keep my free chlorine at high levels
To me this sounds like you have never done a proper SLAM, you’ve had algae trying to take over the pool the whole time, and you’re just barely one step ahead of the pool turning green. When you add chlorine to the pool it gets used up immediately, so you need to immediately add more chlorine. Keep adding chlorine any time the level drops below the SLAM level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.