Can't get rid of cloudy water!

rye724

Jun 19, 2012
We have a above ground chlorine pool 30x54 and the water stays cloudy. Chems were outta wack when we opened it but the water was kinda clear...high PH and low CYA..Chlorine would not stay in the pool. Finally got the chemicals good..water turned a little cloudy but could still see the bottom ladder step. Shocked with HTH shock from WalMart and ran the filter for 2 days..still cloudy but Chlorine levels are good now. Vacuumed to waste blindly. Tried using clarifier to settle cloudiness and vacuumed again and no help. Sand is 1 yr old and when I backwash the filter not that dirty..so I think that is good. Talked to the pool store and they said to try crystal shock..tried that and ran filter for a day+ and same cloudy water. Kinda lost what to do now..seems pool store sucks and I keep dumping money in it and it doesn't clear. Chems still check out good with pool store test and home test. Can still see bottom step but not the pool bottom. I've read about flocking but don't know..any ideas? I also read about high phosphates but pool store doesn't test for that. Getting frustrated and didn't have this prob last year, thanks.

and forget about phosphates. Also please post as many details about your pool and equipment as possible. The chem requirements can be different based on which type of pool and equipment you have.

Oh, and don't worry about your sand's age. 20 year old sand works just fine!

Thanks for the quick reply..here's the test results from this morning. It's a above ground 30x54, I think a 400lb sand filter with 2HP pump.

FCI - 2.6
TCI - 3.2
PH - 7.6
CH - 180
ALK - 100
CYA 30

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.