Can't get rid of algae?

No, i don’t think you have algae because of those spots. I think you have algae in those spots because you have algae everywhere.

Are you sure about your CYA being 40?

Does it matter that when I first started to see the algae on the floor I started treating with some algaecide? It seems like right before it started to get bad I put about 7oz in, which is what the bottle says is recommended for a cloudy pool. Not sure if it was quite "cloudy" at that point. I've used some Leslie's Ultra Brite in there as well somewhere.

I know everyone here recommends not using that kind of stuff, so I'm just curious if that could be part of my issue.

Attachments

• 15978439977539199664237120418368.jpg
    15978439977539199664237120418368.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 8
Yep. So, with CYA of 50, you’ll bump to new SLAM level and you should start seeing results.but use your net... get rid of any solid debris.

I believe that Algaecide in the pic would only empty your wallet. If I'm reading the label correctly it contains ammonia which *chews thru* chlorine and will make your chlorine additions shorter lived.

Did you find that was the case?

The solution to algae is more chlorine......not algaecides (which kill little but can act better as a preventative for certain situations) or other potions. Just good ole' Chlorine!

Maddie

Soooooo.... when ya gonna start a full fledged SLAM process? No more dichlor, no more algaecide, no more breaks from treating. Just liquid chlorine in the right dose (based on CYA of 50) and test-redose absolutely as often as possible for the best results. At least every 2-3 hours this weekend.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Soooooo.... when ya gonna start a full fledged SLAM process? No more dichlor, no more algaecide, no more breaks from treating. Just liquid chlorine in the right dose (based on CYA of 50) and test-redose absolutely as often as possible for the best results. At least every 2-3 hours this weekend.
Been doing my best. I didn't take a break, I figured testing less per day was better than running out of DPD powder and going a few days without testing at all. Haven't used any Dichlor or algaecide while I've been doing this, just working through the last of my calhypo. I've been holding a pretty good schedule, testing 4 times per day.

Reactions: Newdude
I’m assuming you now have more powder and you are testing every 3 hours? You are using 20 as your target?

Can you post a current photo of your water? Also, remind me what kind of filter you have?

Well the water is clear, CC is 0, and my overnight chlorine loss was 1 ppm so I think I'm done!
I’m assuming you now have more powder and you are testing every 3 hours? You are using 20 as your target?

Can you post a current photo of your water? Also, remind me what kind of filter you have?
Yes to all of the above. I've got a sand filter, not sure any details on it right now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.