Can't get rid of algae?

Smiles79

May 22, 2019
Missouri
For the last month or so, I've had some algae in pool that I can't seem to get rid of. I've attached a link from the PoolMath app, tested using the TF-100. Today's FC is pretty high because I put a bag of Dichlor in it last night.

I'm not sure what I'm not doing correctly, my results have consistently been pretty good. Any thoughts?

With a CYA of 40, your minimum FC is 3, which you’ve gone under several times. Sounds like you need a SLAM and to start hitting your target FC of 5-7 a little better.

Every time you add Dichlor, you're adding more CYA along with the chlorine. The higher your CYA is, the more FC you need to keep things sanitary and avoid algae.

Stop with the Dichlor! Find a source for LIQUID chlorine. Either plain liquid "shock" (just a noun, not a verb), or plain unscented, non-thickened, non-Clorox brand bleach. Or Walmart's Pool Essentials Liquid Chlorine (found in pool section). These only add chlorine but no unwanted CYA or calcium.

Read up how to SLAM a pool properly. SLAM Process

Questions? Fire away! :)

Maddie

You don’t want to go below your minimum FC for your CYA level. Your CYA is 40 so your minimum FC is 3ppm with 5-7 your target level. You need to know what your FC loss is per day to make sure your don’t go under the minimum FC. It looks like you bring it up when you add chlorine but if your daily loss is enough to push you below the FC minimum then you need to either:

1. Add chlorine to a higher level - target 7 - 8 ppm FC when you add. Best time to add is at dusk or later.
2. Add chlorine multiple times per day to maintain FC above the minimum.
3. Add CYA to get to 50ppm, it might reduce your FC daily loss.

So I've been SLAMing for a a few days, the water looks good and I haven't had more than 0.5 ppm CC. I'm going to do my overnight FC loss test tonight.

My only concern is that when I brush the floor, I'm still seeing green around the brush (can't see it settling or anything, only when it's stirred up). Is this normal, or does that need to stop before I'm good to go?

Sounds like dead algae. Brush to get it up into the water and filter and continue to SLAM until you pass all three criteria. Dead algae that is brushed up means your pool is not yet clear. But you’re close!

I've been at it for about a week and it's only been getting worse. The pump has been running constantly and the ladder has been out of the pool. What am I doing wrong?

There was a point here that I wasn't testing as much as I was supposed to because I was trying to conserve DPD powder. I got some more in the mail yesterday so I should be good to go.

When SLAMming, you need to check FC and raise it to SLAM level multiple times a day. I’m SLAMming right now (see my thread) and I’m doing so about every three hours. Once a day isn’t going to cut it, and twice a day will take a very long time. If you can do four or more times a day, your SLAM will go a lot faster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How long is a reasonable amount of time for this to work? I've had situations where I had green water, threw in a few bags of dichlor, and a couple days had crystal clear water. This doesn't seem to be working as well, but from what I've learned it should be working better.

I've got a pretty good schedule going where I can test 4 times a day (6:30am, 11:30am, 4:30pm, 8/9pm) and brush twice a day (11:30am, 4:30pm). Should I be vacuuming throughout this as well? At this point I can't see the bottom of the pool to even know if there is anything settling. Is it safe to throw my Dolphin in?

PoolMath Logs

I’d wait until you can see bottom to use Dolphin. Have you dragged a net through to see if you have any solids hanging out?

@Smiles79 in the pool math app, go to settings (the gear in the upper right corner), scroll to the bottom and look for the “Sharing” section. If you don’t mind sharing your logs with us, set that up. If you want to see what it does, click on my name and look for the “PoolMath Logs” badge.

I’d wait until you can see bottom to use Dolphin. Have you dragged a net through to see if you have any solids hanging out?
I have not dragged a net through.

@Smiles79 in the pool math app, go to settings (the gear in the upper right corner), scroll to the bottom and look for the “Sharing” section. If you don’t mind sharing your logs with us, set that up. If you want to see what it does, click on my name and look for the “PoolMath Logs” badge.
Done!

I've uploaded a picture of my skimmer door and the pool. Could this cause my pool to stay as green as it is?

Attachments

• IMG_20200818_115409.jpg
    IMG_20200818_115409.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20200818_115406.jpg
    IMG_20200818_115406.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200818_115402.jpg
    IMG_20200818_115402.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200818_115415.jpg
    IMG_20200818_115415.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: CraigChing
You really need to attempt to remove any solids you may have, via net. If there is a bunch of junk in the pool, your chlorine is working on that, and your SLAM will take longer.

Those surfaces need to be brushed as well. I use a kitchen brush on areas like that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.