Can’t get/keep ta down

Ajfinny

Jun 4, 2019
Dixon, California
No idea why... I add enough acid to lower it, but then the next day or 2 days later it is the same or maybe even higher... like 100 yesterday, waited till today to test again before adding chems, and it is 110 today..... grrrr... go through about 4 gal acid every 2-3 weeks.....

It was a fresh build a year and a half ago... I haven’t tested the full water ta, but I have the auto fill turned off at the moment (leak in the front yard irrigation/sprinklers that it is sourced from). I’m not adding water daily, but every few days in this NorCal heat wave and splash loss...
Yesterday readings attached in pic. CSI is -.06 with these readings, water temp got to 85 yesterday, salt 3500, borates 0 (i admittedly don’t know the borate reading).
I think it is leaching, which is frustrating, cuz I get some scaling and have some small “specs” or “spots” of what I would describe as white scale or “calcium” “spots” that have formed on some steps and other places but not the entire pool surface (pics also attached). I would love to get rid of these...
869B1039-5CFF-4ABB-B7AF-D27B54A27339.png79D628B5-EE97-4CE5-B715-DD004B9F1F8E.jpeg2F80D4DE-5D87-401E-9C3E-A89AEDD71A5D.jpeg

The white spots and lines look like they might be calcium nodules. Some of the plaster might be delaminating.

You should brush the pool regularly.

A rising TA needs a source of something alkaline. Let's see what the fill water is.

Calcium nodules sound like an accurate description... any info/educational material I could read about it more? Is brushing the only preventative for it? Advice on removing it? Can I use my pumice stone (I use on the tile) on the plaster to get rid of these “nodules?”

Also, can you shed more light on “plaster delaminating”??? That sounds not so good :(

I can test the fill water after work today.

I found the tfp info page about nodules and delaminating... thank you. I will try discreet sanding/pumice stoning to try and remove them...
I should also state that I suppose my pool is technically a replaster job since we had an issue with a leak after the original construction and the entire spa was rebuilt and the plaster company ended up demoing out the entire pool plaster and re-doing it....

I added a gallon of acid last night to bring TA down and have been running the pump and waterfall to aerate to bring pH up..
Numbers today:

Attachments

• 3238206E-4518-4423-B68D-D7093FA01623.png
    3238206E-4518-4423-B68D-D7093FA01623.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 6D8D982E-4703-486E-BB51-C5997C7B1CBE.png
    6D8D982E-4703-486E-BB51-C5997C7B1CBE.png
    48.2 KB · Views: 14

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do not be so aggressive with the acid. pH below 7.2 can damage equipment, plaster, etc. Definitely will damage your heater and SWCG.

Ok cool. Been running the waterfall to aerate. Baffled by rising TA. Zero full water added in last few days. Pool gets direct sun all day, no cover, shade in the late afternoon and evenings...
We had a pool party yesterday with 12-15 kids, and adults, so lots of aeration, and ran the spa with heater, and today it’s up to 100.... ph is up to 7.3/7.4.... I’ll keep going to 7.6-7.8 then drop it to 7.2 as needed to get TA down to 60-80.... today’s numbers just now:

Attachments

• 0D478261-ABB7-498E-9A9D-B7D2CACF5BD6.png
    0D478261-ABB7-498E-9A9D-B7D2CACF5BD6.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 2
  • A28269A4-7ABE-4EFD-B408-DAF1EFE52E0E.png
    A28269A4-7ABE-4EFD-B408-DAF1EFE52E0E.png
    40 KB · Views: 2
TA can only rise if you add it to the pool. Either with fill water, baking soda, or soda ash. Or testing error.

TA can only rise if you add it to the pool. Either with fill water, baking soda, or soda ash. Or testing error.
Or liquid chlorine right? Odd. This is why I’m frustrated. I’m the one doing the tests, so if it was an error, then I’d think I’d get equally wrong results each time I do it, not wrong one way one day and wrong a different way the next day... I don’t know how long it takes for chem levels to “stabilize,” but Maybe I need to wait a day between testing, but seems pool school article on lowering total alkalinity says I can retest after 30 min of chem addition with the pump running... idk.
Thank you all for helping me learn and figure this all out and bearing with me as I make slow progress....

I have been trying to lower my TA for a year, since my pool was resurfaced & refilled. Not yet knowing how to startup myself, I paid guys to do it, who put in too much “Alk Up” or whatever it’s called.

I can’t do it. I understand the recommended process, but it doesn’t work. With the constant pH rise from new plaster, I thought lowering TA with MA would be a breeze. Nope. My TA wants to be 120. Sometimes it seems to drift up to 130, and sometimes I can get it down to 110 temporarily.

Now my pH is finally stable. I give up on the TA. My fill water has 40 TA, but I ain’t gonna drain & fill just for that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.