Can't get cover off....every year

Jun 24, 2013
New Jersey
So I'm not sure why I didn't post about this a long time ago, because it is a frustration we deal with every year. But here goes...

I have an above ground pool with a typical cover. The water can pass through the cover. Every year when we go to remove the cover, the water below looks good. We can actually see the bottom when we take the cover off. However, as we pull the cover to the side of the pool, the water won't drain through the cover. So we pull and pull at the side of the pool...and the water collects in the cover and we can't pull it out. Eventually we give up and just pull the cover out, letting the water and junk that was on the top dump into the pool. Now we can't see the bottom. No good.

What am I doing wrong? Is this just an "it is what it is" situation? How do you all get your covers off your above ground pools without having this happen? Should I buy a different cover, like a rigid one like in-ground pools have? Any recommendations?

Thanks so much for the advice everyone.

There are big balloons you can get that you put inside under the cover to help leaves a water run off. You marked like a tent with them. I stack all my inflatables up in there too cause my pool is so long. Anything you can come up with too create a tent with the cover will work. It doesn’t have to be tall, just high enough to get the water to run off over the edge of the top rails. You can get a leaf cover to put over the winter cover. Slide it off first to at least get the leaves off. Lastly you can buy a sub pump from Lowe’s or a pool cover pump to pump water off. I have a 21’x43’ agp so I totally get your troubles. These are the things I do. I do this by myself and not very big and can manage. Sometimes I do end up with junk water in the pool but not a whole winter’s worth.

That has happened to me before where I've spilled some of the gunk into the pool, but not every time. I use a submersible pump to get most of the swampy water off, but you can't get it all.

I leave the clips secured over a last 15 foot or so section and then kind of pull and roll the cover off the pool there so it prevents the "bottom" from sliding out and I end up dumping on me and the grass instead of in the pool.

I'm confused though when you say the cover isn't solid because I would think water would go right through if it is the mesh style? I've only ever used the solid tarp kind and open to clear water each of my 9 TFP years.

Water does go through but VERY slowly. I have always used the mesh cover, drained the pool below the skimmer, and scooped the leaves when I can.

But I would be open to trying a solid tarp. I'm not sure how I would close the pool to accommodate? I deal with leaves and snow where I live. I am guessing I would need to buy a cover for the skimmer and then leave the water level high enough to make sure the cover doesn't sag with the weight of snow on top?

I've always followed the TFP guidance for closing, but I drain to 4 inches below the return. The cover might be large enough that it extends over the skimmer.... can't recall but it isn't necessary. With plumbing disconnected any rain or snow would drain right out. Any snow and rain on the cover is supported by the water in the pool, but the more you allow to collect the more it will raise the water level inside the pool so you have to be sure it doesn't get high enough to start draining out the skimmer or return (which can be plugged). I periodically drain water off the cover in the offseason to keep that in check.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.