Can't get Chlorine to hold

Hi guys, just an update .... Swimming has been great!

Current levels are:
FC - 7.5 (trying to find sweet sport on SWG)
Ph- 7.5
Alk - 130
CH - 350
CYA - 50 (more like 53)
Saturation index - 0.3

I am going to try and lower the Alk down next... What do you guy use to aerate to raise PH it after dropping PH to 7.2? Bubbler? Jump in the pool a bunch?

Also, do you generally have to adjust your SWG daily, or set it and forget it unless Superchlorinating?

Thx!

Don’t worry about the TA. Your pH will rise with time and the muriatic acid you add will lower both the TA and the pH. :) It doesn’t hurt anything to keep it higher unless your CH is high enough that you need to worry about calcium scaling.

Reactions: ScubaDoo
Don’t worry about the TA. Your pH will rise with time and the muriatic acid you add will lower both the TA and the pH. :) It doesn’t hurt anything to keep it higher unless your CH is high enough that you need to worry about calcium scaling.

Well, I have noticed a good amount of white flakes in my pool cleaner after a run.... I imagine that's from the high CH?

Could be scale from your SWG. Do you use the Pool Math app? If so, did you enable your CSI? If so, what is it? :) Not sure if that's where you got the "Saturation index" number above.

Could be scale from your SWG. Do you use the Pool Math app? If so, did you enable your CSI? If so, what is it? :) Not sure if that's where you got the "Saturation index" number above.
I'm not sure what CSI is.... sorry?
The saturation index was from the Taylor's kit... the wheel thingy gives you the Saturation Index after you line up your readings.

Put in your current chem test numbers (including pool temp) here:

It will give you a CSI at the bottom. (The app will do this for you automatically if you enable CSI on it, if you use the app.) Do that and let us know what your CSI is :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. With a fill water of 130 CH, and (I guess) living somewhere up around the Great Lakes, you can ignore CSI. CSI is really only pertinent to those pools who cannot stay withing the acceptable ranges we suggest at TFP and your pool is not one of those.

On a separate note, through the hot sunny days this week the FC has been stable at 6.0 dropping to 5.0 by end of day. So that's good news!

I appreciate all the help guys! Really do!

Here's a fun story....
This week I've been troubleshooting the deep end pool light, previous owners did not care for the property very well and the pool light's housing was cracked (they tried to fix with silicone) and water leaked to reach the bulb & cable corroding it. Bought a new housing, bulb and gaskets, had to cut cable back and resplice to light. Figured that would do it but no, still not showing 12-13V through wires.... So I assumed the cable was shot due to corrosion and would have to re-run at a later date.

At the same time, I've been plugging away at re-leveling interlock around the pool. Once again due to poor upkeep, a chipmunk (I saw him hide in there in spring) had dug between one of the gaps between bricks by the pool steps, causing the interlock to sag around the concrete edge of pool. It seemed the chipmunk has built a tunnel around the causing the sag that ended at the corner (more or less along the shallow end corners). As I started following the tunnel and releveling the interlock I kept being shocked at how far he had actually got. Once finished the corners of the shallow end I noticed the tunnel had a "V" in it, and one end went off away toward the sundeck. There was significant sag around the dog leg (middle) of the pool which I had assumed was due to years of water seeping and sinking the brick. NOPE. The little bugger built a winter mansion between the deck and dogleg of the pool. So after following it and repairing to that point yesterday I was filling in around the concrete of the pool with screening and gravel and tampering it. While filling I found (about 4" down) a stick by the concrete... NOPE, it was the cable to the deep end light! Chewed straight through (Ate about an inch of cable). I found the other end nearby and using an underground line splice kit with waterproof shrink wrap... switched on the pool light and now deep end light DID WORK (Big win!). My day's work finished there, and I had a nice night swim with full lighting, but I am only about 50% done filling and re-leveling around the pool. Back at it again soon, I'll let you know if I find any other surprises in his winter mansion underneath the patio.

Reactions: IceShadow
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.