Can't find bleach

ihriec

May 17, 2020
Maryland
Hi All,

I've been using the three B's (bleach, borax and baking soda) for about the last 10 years with great success. Lately, due to Covid19, I haven't been able to find any bleach.

Until bleach becomes readily available do you have any recommendations that would work in an older 25,000 gallon pool and be gentle with a three year old liner? Before I switched to the 3 B's method, I had problems with CYA and stains on the liner.

Thanks, Charles

Welcome to the forum!
Do you have Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc in your area. Many have liquid chlorine. Household bleach tends to have additives in it and is lower in concentration.
What is your CH level?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
Do you have Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc in your area. Many have liquid chlorine. Household bleach tends to have additives in it and is lower in concentration.
What is your CH level?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thanks. I didn't know about liquid chlorine, I will check our local Walmart, etc. I've always just used concentrated bleach - about one bottle a day worked well.

Our pool is not opened yet, so I don't know the CH level. Also, I read the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry at the beginning of each pool season and I use the PoolMath calculator.

At Walmart it is Pool Essential Chlorinating Liquid. In the indoor garden section.
At Home Depot, it is HDX Chlorinating Liquid. In the garden section. 2 or 3 gallon boxes.

They are 10% whereas your household bleach was 6% starting last year.

Reactions: puly
The higher concentration stuff is better anyway - less needed to add and store, no extra additives, and it usually works out to be about the same or better in price.

Any drawbacks to using the 10% chlorine and appropriately dilute it with water in order to make disinfectant?
I've been using Clorox Germicidal as both COVID disinfectant and pool chlorine. Difficult to find in grocery stores, but Lowe's Home Depot have the 10% in stock at the moment :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.