Can’t find a hot tub pro!

Screenmachine

Apr 13, 2020
Austin, Texas
I have a stand alone Hotsprings spa that is about 4 years old. Early last Fall I noticed a leak. Until then there were absolutely no problems with the hot tub. Well, it was only one hose with a pin leak so I decided to try and fix it myself. It only took me a few minutes to break the nipple the hose was connected to so I decided to bring in a pro. By the time my pro arrived I had a few more small leaks. The repairman didn’t have everything he needed to get the job done so he returned in about a week. During his next visit we realized what we were dealing with, rodent damage. And it had worsened. He recommended peppermint spray and returned in about a week. He was convinced the rat was gone, but never did finish the job after several efforts to replace the parts of hoses that had been damaged. After leading me on for quite a while and some seriously bad weather in Texas, he ghosted me. No response to any of my messages.
While looking for another pro to take the job, I’ve searched everywhere I know. I can’t find any without similar stories to mine in their recommendations. I’ve sent emails to several but none have even made the effort to reply. I’m at a loss. Really need to find a resolution on this so it will stop bothering me. As far as I know the hot tub only has issues with plumbing. I even tried reaching out to a local plumber but they don’t mess with hot tubs.
You guys be nice to me please but I would very much like to hear your ideas. As bad as the pool store is, the people in the hot tub business that I’ve dealt with are even less trustworthy. Thanks for you time and info!

Plumbing leaks in a hot springs is just about the worst thing a tech can hear. I've been doing this for 26 years, and I wouldn't have returned your call either. In fact, I have been turning down HS calls for nearly a decade. Many of us independents do, and most dealers only service what they sell. There is no brand I dislike working on more.
If I had to give you an estimate it would be about $2k for me to tell you how much it will cost to fix. Then I would have to set aside a week on my schedule (and hire helpers) to come over, stand it up, and make a huge mess in your backyard digging out half of the insulation. Then set it on blocks, fill it, and crawl under it to locate the leaks. Only then would I know the extent of the damage and what would need to be done to fix it. At this time of year, I wouldn't have a week to give you even if I were so inclined.
I agree that not returning your call after starting the job is a bit shady. He could have had the courtesy to tell you he didn't want the job, as I would have.
I can't really blame him for not wanting the job, though. Repairs of that nature are not terribly profitable compared to the 20 other jobs I might do in that week I have devoted to you just to diagnose it. And you are virtually guaranteed (in my experience) to not be happy, nitpick my bill, and generally complain about it (and me) for years to come, in spite of the fact that I had to take a significant pay cut just to help you. 🤨 Not much motivation there.
If you aren't wanting to fix it yourself then your best bet is the HS dealer. At least they are familiar with HS quirks and are (usually) willing to work on them, though they are under no obligation on non-warranty repairs. Anyone else may not be familiar with HS unique cabinet/frame, plumbing design, and equipment. That can lead to unnecessary expense and potential problems.

Reactions: A.O. and dan1333
This is what I love about TFP! The truth at last!
Thanks for not killing the RDspaguy messenger. We don't always have good news for folks, but it's always straight, and honest.

It's a slippery slope and not always well received. :ROFLMAO:

The choice of a new spa is more about the dealer than the spa. A bad dealer will make you regret whatever spa you buy. Look for long standing dealers with a good reputation for service.
Hot Springs does several things, such as non-removeable sides (at least not easily removed without damage) and hard, high density foam that channels water away from the leak point, that make them a nightmare for plumbing repairs. But, in their defense, they are usually among the longest lasting spas out there (rodents notwithstanding).
Look for removable sides, non-full-foam insulation, and Balboa controls for a spa that is reliable and easy (and therefore cheap) to fix.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.