Can’t figure out what this is or how to get rid of it

McIntyre87

Aug 1, 2019
West Virginia
Hello,
I have not been able to enjoy my first pool season at all. I can’t figure out what this is or how to get rid of it. I have tried using a brush and brushing the pool and using a hand held vacuum but it just seems to dust up and come back. Please help. I have been going weekly to the pool store and have been adding the chemicals they say and the instructions they give. I am so disappointed.

Here’s a picture of my pool stats. I followed the weekly instructions. I added shock prior to this and have gone to using normal chlorine pucks instead of the swg because mine quit working. The chlorine is high because I added two packs of shock the day I went to the pool store.

Attachments

Fast7

Aug 8, 2018
Plainfield, IL

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Time to ditch the pool store and take control of your pool.
Of course you need a test kit to do so.

Note, in a vinyl pool, there is no need to raise the CH. Also there is no need to use algaecides if you maintain proper FC levels. Those are just 2 of the quick things I saw that the store has sold you that you do not need.

jmikeb

Gold Supporter
Aug 4, 2017
stillwater oklahoma
we’ve all been there. pool store testing with a printout magic potions to fix it .
get your test kit (tf100 or k2006C) and we will show you how to fix it.
it’s very simple!

thetekgeek

Bronze Supporter
Jun 8, 2018
Nebraska
I love seeing these posts. They typically go one of two ways.

The OP either gets a test kit and continues to ask questions, followed by solid advise which arms them to take control. Or, the OP asks a few more questions still thinking that someone will respond with a magical potion the pool store somehow forgot and when that doesn’t happen they give up and switch pool stores.

My advise, please get a good test kit. Run a full set of tests when it arrives and post the results here. In the meantime, use the TFP PoolMath app to calculate 5ppm of liquid chlorine/bleach and add that amount every day until your kit arrives. We cannot provide solid guidance to you based on a printout from a pool store test simply because we do not trust their results. We need solid numbers, and once you get them the people on this forum will help you through your current issue and any issue that comes up in the future.

It is your choice to make.

BTW, your original question was about what is in your pool. In my opinion, it’s algae.

Reactions: B_A_T and frogabog

Wobblerlorri

Bronze Supporter
You have algae in your pool. To get rid of it, you need to SLAM your pool. You can read up on the process SLAM Process

In order to do that, you have to have a good test kit. Test Kits Compared will examine the two kits we recommend, as well as explain why others aren't up to snuff.

After you get your test kit, test your water and post your results in this format

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

Once we have this info, we can better assist you. Please also read the links @Fast7 gave you -- you'll better understand why we do what we do after reading them.

Hope to hear from you soon!